cheapest car rental company in Greece?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which is the cheapest reliable car rental company in Greece? Pick up in Athens (airport)at the end of September for 6 days. Some of the companies charge more then if I was renting it for 7 days...
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 02:07 AM

Try Economy car rentals - we used them last year. Good prices, fully inclusive with no excess. They pick up/return with a minibus from Athens airport, their office is about 10 away.

http://www.economycarrentals.com/
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Maria, I checked out Economy Car Rentals and it was €156,28 for 6 days for a Fiat Seicento with A/C(considered a mini car)

I found a rate of €149,26 with Payless rent a car for a Fiat Punto (economy car with A/C).

For an economy car with A/C, Economy car Rentals charges €169,99

So far, Payless and Elite were the cheapest I could find. Would anybody know of a cheaper company or maybe coupon codes that could help reduce the price?
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 12:33 AM

Be careful when comparing - just looked at Payless and it does not include collision damage waiver - an extra 9 euros a day, even more if you want to reduce the excess from 300 euros to zero. Economy prices include cdw with no excess.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 03:40 AM
ira

Hi M,

Try
www.gemut.com
www.autoeurope.com
www.novacarhire.com

The first two will match other offers or explain to you why not.

Does your CC offer rental insurance in Greece? If so, decline the CDW.

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 06:07 AM

Just got back from Athens last night. We rented an automatic with Thrifty out of Athens for 4 days to go over to Corinth, Epidaurus and stayed in Nafplion. They were the cheapest price but I was nervous about Greek drivers so I took out every possible insurance-basic rental was about 112 euros for 4 days and with all the insurance up to almost 200 euros. They do not have a booth at the airport as they are located offsite but bring car to you so perhaps that is why it is cheaper. Autoeurope quoted me 428 euros for the same rental and 612 euros with all the insurance for the same thing.The one thing that I would definitely check into is that there are numerous offices located throughout Greece so if there is a problem you can exchange quickly without waiting all day for them to show up. Remember-stay in the right lane,pull over to shoulder when they want to pass you and get a good Michelein map before you go.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all,

My own car insurance covers CDW when I rent a car plus I also have insurance when I pay with my credit card.

Ira, I checked the websites that you suggested one of them (gemut) do not list Greece, I sent an message to the second one and the last one was over €200

Dutyfree, I checked out Thrifty and for a Fiat Panda it would cost me €155,91. How was the driving in Greece? Was it as bad as they say? I have driven througout France, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Germany, Austria and Switzerland so far and I never had any problems. Big cities are usually where I found the worst driving (Rome and Paris being the worst) but as far as highways, California, USA beets them all!