Day Trips from Cefalu

Mar 29th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Day Trips from Cefalu

We will be staying in Cefalu in July and would like some suggestions for daytrips. We will be in Cefalu for 6 days and plan to spend one day in Palermo. We will not have a car, so we will have to rely on trains and buses. Or even an organized trip from a company there.

Mar 29th, 2007, 10:20 AM

I stayed in Palermo and day tripped to wondrous Cefalu and wished i had based there instead.

That said since it's so close to Palermo you could day trip by train from Cefalu to Segesta to see the awesome 5th-century BC largely intact Greek temple there that stands so majestically in a wild setting.

Better to take a bus from Palermo i believe as the desultory abandoned-looking Segesta train station is about a mile or more walk along a main road with little shoulder. Buses take you right to the temple.
Mar 29th, 2007, 10:20 AM

Lovely choice of a town to base yourself in. There are tourist agencies that offer many day trips. Aeolian Islands (my favorite) Mt Etna/Taormina, Palermo and others. Most aren't offered every day so you'll have to plan your week of excursions as soon as you arrive. They leave quite early, 6:30 to 7am and get back 7:30 to 8PM. It's a full day, but very relaxing because you just have to sit back and enjoy the trip. Have a wonderful time
Mar 29th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

We choose Cefalu because we spent a day there when we were in Sicily 3 years ago and loved it. We wanted somewhere relaxing to spend most of our time this trip and decided Cefalu would be perfect. It is a lovely town that is close enough to several sites for day trips. Now I just have to decide where to go.

TravMimi, I was hoping we could do the Aeolian Islands one day. I had remembered seeing all the signs for excursions but I cannot remember all the choices.

PalenQ, thanks for suggesting Segesta. I will put that on the list to research.

Mar 29th, 2007, 10:48 AM

Roaming - Most excursions to the islands go to Lipari the main island. It has nice town and a great little archaeological museum. It also has the most connections to island hop, like 10 min. hydrofoil over to smelly, but wonderful Vulcano where you can take a hot mud bath. You will only get a tiny taste of the islands, but this will be more than enough to get you back there for an extended stay. Some excursions go to Salina, very beautiful, But more isolated. Stromboli the volcano is in a very active stage right now, but I'm afraid it's a bit too far for a day trip. It's about an hour by hydrofoil from Lipari.