Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

driving peloponnese, help with rental car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if anyone knows what is required to drive a rental car in greece. Do i need an international drivers license? Also, i am on a tight budget and wanted to rent the least expensive car which is a mini car. Will this be sufficient to drive on mountain roads or do i need to rent something a little bigger?
I have one last question, if you can bear with me, has anyone heard of kyveli suites in Nafplio? Thanks so much for any help!
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 10:58 AM

Most car rental agencies will require an Intl Drivers License -- for $20, I recommend you go to your local AAA office and just get one.

A 'mini' car will suffice, providing it's got enough room for you & your luggage. Given that Greece has the highest road accident rate in the westernized EU countries by at least a factor of 2x, I personally would prefer to have more metal, steel, and crush-space suurrounding my body than a mini-car will provide

I've used http://www.autoeurope.com a couple times, they will book you to a major car company (Avis, Hertz, etc) at a much lower rate than you could get by renting directly from the car company. However, their prices crept up in recent years.

Several have posted getting good service and very low rates from www.economycarrentals.com (a Greek-based comapny), but I have no personal experience with them.

I am unfamiliar with Kyveli Suites ... HTH
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 03:23 AM

I have recommended Economy Car Rentals - have a look as there isn't a huge difference in price between the mini and economy groups and ensure you have enough room for your luggage, as the last poster mentioned. You shouldn't have any trouble with the mountain roads either way.

I came across the Kyvelli suites om www.yourgreece.gr and considered them myself, as they do look interesting. Let us know if you book them.

Old Apr 12th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help! I was actually about to book on economy, but than i found a better deal for a better car on budget rent a car's website. I think that the difference in price was more based on the fact that economycarrental included insurance and budget didnt. I assume my insurance wont cover a rental in greece so i guess i should go with economy. I did book kyveli for june, but i'm just a little concerned because i cant find any information or reviews from someone who has actually stayed there or even seen it. I'll let you know how it is! Thanks again!
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 11:55 AM

We rented in Greece and drove all over the Pelop. last May. We rented a small car (though not mini as it did have a tiny backseat) at the Athens airport. There is a surcharge for renting from the airport, but it was so easy to get onto the highway that takes you from Athens to the Corinth Canal and down into the Peloponnese. We got an International Driver's License from our AAA for around $20 but we were not asked to show it at the Avis office when we picked up the car. As we were not stopped by the police, I don't know if we would have needed it or not. We found driving in Greece to be a joy overall... though the narrow and twisting roads through the Loukas Gorge were a bit hairy a few times!