Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever used Economy Car Rentals in Europe-more specifically in Greece?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been trying to get a inexpensive automatic rental car for our upcoming trip to Greece this month. Autoeurope and others are over $600 for 4 DAYS!!! This company has been suggested and it seems to work out for our budget,etc. I am somewhat leery about using them as I have never heard of them and others have not either. So-has anyone ever used Economy Car rentals? Thanks for any tips!
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:55 AM

dutyfree. I wanted to suggest another rental company also which we did use but last night I could not access their site.

www.carjet.com

They are a UK company. The prices are also very good and we were very happy with their service.
Their rental terms are a little different than Economy.

Several people rented from Economy last year in Portugal (not in Greece) and all reports were good.

I tried bringing up the company in the search here but I do not seem to be putting in the correct key words.

You will find when looking for alternate brokers for economic car rentals that some of them are not well known to us because most of us tend to use companies we are familiar with like AutoEurope. I think they are more familiar to Europeans.

Again, good luck.

Sherry

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional info. I have to wait until Weds. when Thrifty will get back to me? After reading some of the "excess" stuff on Carjet-I am thinking that the bus is starting to look good....let me know if you think of any other places to rent.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:23 PM

Where do you want to rent a car? Depending on the location, you may be better off renting from a local business rather than making arrangements in advance. As I'm sure you've discovered, one of the things that is making your car cost more is it being an automatic. You can get much better prices for a manual.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

The main purpose of the rental would be to go from Athens over to Nafplion and surrounding areas. I thought that I could also drive up to Delphi but am rethinking that-take a bus,tour or taxi with "George the famous taxi driver". But I just got a quote from him for 260 euros for a one day Delphi tour so I will have to forgo that idea.
The last time that I was in Greece was over 30 years ago and I STILL remember all of the crosses all over the roads from various car accidents so I am kinda having second thoughts. Has anyone rented cars in Nafplion that they were happy with and returned there? My plan B was possibly taking the bus down there and rent from there. Any thoughts? Thanks again!