Cheap Hostels in Madrid

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Jean

Cheap Hostels in Madrid

Looking for a place in Madrid that's in the center of the city that costs 50 Euros a night or less. Never been to Spain before. Any other hints?

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Leslie

Try the Hostal Adriano, which is 1/2 way between the Plaza Mayor and Puerta del Sol. The website is www.hostaladriano.com - and the email address is [email protected]. The owner, Alberto DiStefano speaks fluent English.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 03:11 PM
Judy

We stayed at the Hostal la Perla Asturiana last May. It cost 40 euros per night for a double room with bath. It is very basic, small but clean and in a great location. It is 1 block off the Plaza Mayor. The only problem we had was the noise. All the folks leaving the Plaza Mayor very early in the morning seem to go past our window.
If you are out with them however, it shouldn't be a problem. Actually we were satisfied enough to go back again for a night before our flight out, after travelling around Spain. www.perlaasturiana.com. Have a great trip.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 04:31 AM
Jean

Thanks for your responses. Had looked into the Hostel Adriano, and liked what I saw, but like the prices at the Perla better. Does the staff at Perla A. speak fluent English? Our Spanish is next to nothing. I had read that the owner of Adriano used to live in Minneapolis. How about steps? Adriano is up 4 flights. Can you tell me about Perla A? Thanks for all your help.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 04:46 AM
Maira

Jean, I encourage you to also try the forum at madridman.com. This is a great, very informative forum with great information on just about everything Madrid, specially hostels. Whatever you do, try to stay away from hostals in Calle de la Montera. That street is quite "lively" at night, which may attract some dangerous clientele.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 07:12 AM
Leslie

The owner of the Hostal Adriano is installing an elevator. It is quite near completion.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Judy

The Perla A is up 1 flight of stairs from the street. The fellows at the front desk do speak english - some better than others.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Jean

Perla A. is sounding better all the time. Sent an e-mail to Hostel Adriano. Their elevator is not up and running yet and won't be when we get there. At Perla A, noise shouldn't be such a problem like Judy said because windows will be closed because of the weather. As long as the place is safe and clean and the beds are comfortable, I'm happy. I figure, I'm there to be vacationing and OUT of my room most of the time! Now, what's the best way to get from the airport to the hostel without getting ripped off by the taxi drivers, like I've been reading. Won't arrive till about 10 at night after travelling about 24 hours!