Hostels(Hostales) in Madrid

Old May 11th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Original Poster

Hostels(Hostales) in Madrid

Does Anyone know about nice and clean Hostels in Madrid and what's the average price per room / per night is?
Have you stayed in one before?
Old May 11th, 2007, 09:39 PM

Are you talking about hostels (as in youth hostels) or hostals (as in small pensione-type hotels)? Take a look at www.madridman.com
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

HOSTALS OR "Hostales"(in spanish)is what I meant...
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:54 AM

In Spanish, "hostal" is merely another word for a hotel, generally used for smaller cheaper establishments, but there is no clear distinction. Many offer comfortable rooms with bathrooms, and would be called hotels in other countries.
Old May 14th, 2007, 09:26 AM

GeoffHamer is correct. The spanish word "hostal" is another word for budget hotel. But the word "hostals" only exists in Catalán. A lot of people improperly/incorrectly pluralize/spanglish-ize the Spanish word "hostal" to "hostals".

What you're looking for, charliepr, are hostels - as you correctly stated in your O.P.. Don't let anyone tell you different.

The Spanish ministry of tourism translates the Spanish word "hostales" (plural) to the English word "hostels". English speakers tend to abbreviate the term YOUTH hostels to just "hostels" but this causes confusion in Spain and Spanish-speaking countries where YOUTH hostels are called "albergues juveniles".

Anyway, to answer your question, Madrid now has about 150 hostels (again, called "hostales" in Spain/Spanish) which have websites.

It's my experience here on this forum that there have been, probably, about 100+ reviews of these places. Have you tried conducting a search using keyword like HOSTAL MADRID? That should yield LOTS of previously reviewed/recommended hostels.

I've stayed in the following Madrid hostels: Hostal Oporto, Hostal Dulcinea, Hostal López, Hostal Chelo, Hostal Cervelo, and Hostal Aresol. I can recommend all of these on their own merits. Some have more ammenties than others but all are well-located, clean, most with balcony rooms available, with simple decorations, and well-priced between 30 and 50 Euros per night.

If you would like information about specifics of anyplace in particular just ask and we'll do our best to help.

Saludos, MadridMan
--
Madrid, Spain, and MORE @ you-know-where!
Old May 14th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info,in my original post I asked for information about Hostels or "Hostales"...but then ...
never mind...