Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's the deal with the lodging in Madrid?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2011, 01:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never had so much trouble trying to find decent lodging in a place. The general complain, about all places in Madrid, seem to be "noisy", "rude staff" and "deceiving website". Is this a general situation in Madrid or am I looking at the wrong places? I can put up with the "rude staff" because I barely talk when I'm staying at a place.

I'm looking for a double room with AC and breakfast at no more than 100 Euros. I'm staying for 7 nights in early July. I've never stayed in an apartment, but maybe that's a better idea?. I don't mind if it's not "right in the middle" of Madrid since I don't mind doing some walking to get to/from. It's doesn't even have to be stylish, but simply decent and clean.

By the way, I've seen a lot of comments here on Fodors claiming that a "hostal" isn't the same a "hostel". I am a nativer speaker of Spanish and "hostal" is the word in Spanish for "hostel". However, I'm not from Spain and, maybe, in Madrid, "hostales" are really like B&B's, but judging from what I have seen on their websites, they're far from being the B&B where I've lodged. They really look like "hostels".

Any thoughts about this?

Thanks!
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 03:51 AM

Hi. In my experience 'hostales' in Spain are more like small basic family run hotels. They are pretty cheap compared to bigger hotels and in all the time I've been travelling to Spain I have never had a bad experience with them. I've always found hotels and hostales in Spain to be good value for money. You may be unlucky and get a bad place but it is really no different to anywhere else in Europe in that respect.
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 04:11 AM

Check hotel Prado, a 3stars hotel. Its very well located near plaza Santa ana and Prado museum. I stayed there last July and paid apprx 66 euros. Buffet breakfast was 5 euros. the AC worked great!
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 04:12 AM

Actually, in Spain we translate "hostel" as "albergue", more in the sense of youth hostel. It really, really depends. Some of the "hostales", specially in Madrid, are more geared towards a younger set and they look like hostels.

I don´t think that we have something similar to B&B´s in the cities. It is different with agriturismos and similar places in the countryside.

Maybe you could tell us in which areas have you been looking, and people would come up with ideas.

Rgds, Cova
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 04:12 AM

Forgot to mention, do not request a single room, they are very small.
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 04:13 AM

To my mind, hostal translates as inn, hostales as inns - description as pantsabunch, never breakfast.

Noise - I think there may be a lower tolerance, if you are from some parts of the world.
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 04:14 AM

The last years I've stayed at either Hostal Persal or Hotel Plaza Mayor. As central as it gets and good value, close to bustling Plaza Santa Ana, Plaza Mayor and Puerta del Sol. Never experienced anything but the best service and friendly staff. Both would be under 100€ for a double.
http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/plaza-mayor.en.html
http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/madr...madrid.en.html

I would nevertheless suggest that you find your own favourite breakfast café/bar regardless of the offer on the hotel. Nothing beats the atmosphere in a local breakfast place, should put you in a good mood for the rest of the day! Lots of places around. I like for example Los Pinchitos and Cafeteria Esparteros, next door neighbours in Calle Esparteros 9 and 11, close to both hotels.

More expensive and classical Café del Príncipe is also close:
http://11870.com/pro/cafe-principe
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 05:31 AM

I like to use www.trivago.com lately, along with other popular websites to compare prices. I see at the beginning of July several popular hotels/suites for $100 or less.
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 11:42 AM

You can go to www.madridman.com for lists of hostales in Madrid. There are loads to choose from. I think Madridman himself is an American who now lives full time in Spain.
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 12:46 PM

I stayed at a hostal in Madrid last year and our experience was more like apartment living without a kitchen. It was www.hostaladriasantaana.com. The hostal was on one floor of a building in a great location. We checked in at the front desk located at another hostal in another building about a block away. We never saw staff except for check in and out. Housekeeping service came in everyday. Furniture was all Ikea, even trash can and linens. Out bathroom was the smallest we've ever had, but room itself was a good size with ac, tv and fridge. It was an economical choice but comfortable for us. However, there was no breakfast included here. You may want to check it out.
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 01:25 PM

Hola

Hostals do not serve breakfast. If you're worried about the noise factor request a room off the street. Your chances of finding rude staff are no greater or less than other places in the world. We stayed at the Hostal Marlasca and were very satisfied with it. Location is excellent.

Maybe try this apartment - http://www.hostalsonsodesa.com/en/es...?wm=747&id=239
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 06:44 PM

The Hotel Plaza Mayor, mentioned by Kimhe above, also has an apartment - it is up the street from the hotel and would be great for a 1 week stay. It is very quiet inside but I am not sure if there is A/C - you would need to check with them.
Reception is at the hotel and they are very nice there.

It's a lot of extra space for under 100 euros per night.
http://www.loftplazamayor.com/
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 08:44 PM

Hi Castellanese - I was in Madrid in November 2009 and stayed at both Hotel Preciados and Hostal Gonzalo. The first was fabulous, I really loved it (and I don't usually opt for the modern sort of hotel in Europe but it was my first time and first few days in Spain, so I splurged for it due to its great reviews, and it didn't disappoint). Anyway it sounds like it's over your budget so I'll move on to my other hotel.

At the end of my trip I came back to Madrid and stayed at Hostal Gonzalo. It was a budget choice, I only paid 48 euros for the night since I was arriving at Atocha Station that afternoon and flying out the next day, but the location was good and the management really friendly, I definitely thought it was a good bargain and would recommend it to you! It was over near the Prado/Atocha neighborhood, friendly, clean, and I remember my one night as being very quiet. Well, at least I slept like a log and was not happy when my alarm went off about 5 in the morning, when I had to get up to go to the airport and catch a plane!

Hope this helps. That said though, if you are really staying in Madrid for 7 nights I would say skip a hotel and try to find an apartment to rent! I've found that that's a much better way to experience a city that you'll be in for that much time. (Although unfortunately I don't have any experience with that in Madrid.)
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 03:17 AM

In my 15 years talking about the differences between "hostels" and "hostales" the confusion remains strong. As mentioned above, Spaniards translate the English word "hostel" to the Spanish word "Albergue", often "Albergue Juvenil". The confusion arises from the similarity of the words although one really has little to do with the other. A "hostal" is a budget hotel where you have your own room, own key, and own space - very much unlike a "hostel". The word "hostel" is actually an abbreviation of the term "youth hostel" which, as you know, typically offers community sleeping rooms with bunkbeds, lockers, community showers, rentable linens, and the like.

As for "rudeness" in Spain, well, it all depends on your perspective. I can see coming from the USA, Asia, or even many other parts of Europe one might see Spanish help-staff less than your typical ear-to-ear smilers and bouncy personalities you find elsewhere. That's just the way they are. But what seems rude to you might seem perfectly normal/average/typical to another Spaniard.

Noise can be an issue in many hotels in downtown Madrid. If it's not the traffic it could be the loud partiers at night walking below your window. Most of the better hotels and many of the "hostales" have double-pane windows which tend to block out a lot of the noise. I think we Americans are pretty spoiled when it comes to noise because most businesses and buildings in general are set rather far apart as compared to a city like Madrid or New York City. For people who live IN the city these noises are commonplace and hardly noticed. For people coming from suburban neighborhoods I can see how trash collection at 4am outside your window could/would be upsetting.

Requesting interior rooms would most likely be quieter than exterior, street-side rooms - but you give up so much in your view, too. I'd much rather have the natural light, the balcony, and the view of people walking about than an airshaft.

While now I live in Madrid, Spain, before moving here I'd stayed at half a dozen "hostales" throughout the city and toured dozens more. You may find my reviews of them by conducting a search here. Those at which I've stayed (and to those which I can remember by name) include Hostal Chelo, Hostal López, Hostal Dulcinea, Hostal Cervelo, Hostal Aresol, and Hostal Oporto. I found them all to be very clean, affordable, well-located, with small-ish rooms, well-lighted, and friendly staff. I don't recall ever being bothered by noise, however, and always requested a street-side room.

Saludos, MadridMan @ you-know-where!!
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, everybody.

As for people being rude, well... I read the same about Barcelona when I visited it two years ago and I thought everybody was polite, in general. In fact, I never experienced a moment of rudeness with anybody. But, like I said before, I'm the kind of person who barely talks, so, at least for me that's not a big issue anyway.

As for hotels, I found on around the historic center called ABBA Atocha. It's a little bit of a walk, but it's supposed to be quiet and, besides breakfast, which is important to me, it's fairly inexpensive 80 Euros.

Thanks everybody for your input!

Castellanese.
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 02:52 AM

It seems this hotel is available for about $70 at a few websites early july. try trivago, like i mentioned to see if y can improve your price ( lots of cafés nearby for wonderful 5 euro breakfast if on trivago list none of the prices are with breakfast).. good luck.

depending on where you booked, there may be a price guarantee to check out.

I have stayed at other Abba hotels and they are pretty reliable and newish.
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Hi Lincasanova,

I booked it directly because I have a credit card issue. In Venezuela, where I live, there is exchange control, so we're not allowed to use our credit cards but at the time of traveling, among a whole nuch of other things. I emailed them and let them know about my situation and they accepted my reservation this way.

Thanks for sharing, Lincasanova. The ABBA Atocha gives me a reliable feeling.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 07:59 AM

Take a look at the SolMelia.com website and sign up for their promotions. I had an amazing rate at the Tryp Cibeles, which included breakfast, but that was back in 2005. The air-conditioning was excellent also, which is something you have to watch out for.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 01:04 PM

I always try to rent an apartment wherever I go in Europe, especially if I'm staying 7 days in one City.I have had the best results from www.Homeaway.com
I love making my own coffee in the mornings and sitting around enjoying the view.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 01:07 PM

Continuing....Apartments tend to be less expensive if you are looking at the lower end prices which are really great.