Cheap Accomodation in Cornwall

May 22nd, 2002, 04:34 AM
Marek

Cheap Accomodation in Cornwall

My wife and I are planning to spend 7-10 days in Cornwall in July. We are looking for some cheap accommodation options. Can you suggest anything?

May 22nd, 2002, 05:56 AM
kc

http://www.chycor.co.uk/

Friends stay in Fowey every year,you might want to check that out.
Good luck~

May 22nd, 2002, 09:44 AM
julie

We stayed in Penzance, at a little B&B hotel called CARNSON House, just accross street from the Railway station. It was old, quaint, and friendly, not fussy, but clean and food good, and very convenient. There is a local bus company that runs you all over Cornwall. And for the time of your life, look up "Harry Safari". He is a local guy, full of color, who takes you on select tours, to places you have never heard of. Picks you up at the station. we liked him so much, we booked him for a second day. E-mail me if you need any more information.

May 23rd, 2002, 09:01 PM
xx

I agree w/ the Carnson House - clean cheap comfortable friendly - and next to the BR station - great place for jaunts to St Ives, Lands End, Marathon etc.

make sure to visit the Turks Head for the best seafood....

May 24th, 2002, 03:46 AM
Rachel

I am also interested in going to Cornwall. Does anyone know the best(quickest) way to get there from London? I checked a couple of train timetables and it looks like it could be 6+ hours! Is it better to hire a car and then also have it there to drive around? Or is public transportation an option once in Cornwall?

May 24th, 2002, 05:52 AM
andrew

Rachel - Cornwall is in my opinion the most beautiful part of England (although true Cornish people would say it is a separate country) but sadly the drawback is by UK standards it is a long way away from London. Going by car from the London area to the southwestern tip of Cornwall e.g Penzance, St Ives takes 6 hours. Going by rail if you choose your train carefully could take you only 5 hours. However you do not have the flexibility of being able to explore beautiful coves and charming villages such as Mevagissey, Mousehole and Polperro if you don't have a car so bear this in mind.

May 24th, 2002, 06:05 AM
andrew

Another option for Rachel may be to fly from London Stansted to Newquay with low fares airline Ryan Air (www.ryanair.com) and then hire a car at Newquay airport. This would be the quickest way although you would miss some of the beautiful scenery when going by car or train through Devon etc.

Another thought is if you drive, make sure you stop off at a country pub on the way down rather than using one of the ghastly overpriced motorway (freeway) service stations. A good half way point I use is the Drewe Arms at Broadhembury in Devon (just 5 miles off the main M5 motorway or A30) - seafood to die for! If you want the quickest route by car take the M4/M5 but if you want a more scenic route that is not much slower take the A303/A30 which takes you directly past Stonehenge and then Salisbury and some beautiful countryside in Devon near Honiton.

Whichever way you go - enjoy!

May 24th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Ruth

July and August are high season in Cornwall, particularly after the 21st July when the schools finish. So you may not find very cheap places to stay. If budget is a priority, have you considered Youth Hostels? There's no age limit in fact, but you have to join the YHA, and should probably book in advance. There are lots of B&Bs and self-catering places too.

May 25th, 2002, 07:48 PM
nancy

Just returned. I wish the tour service was on when we were there, it sounds fun. We stayed in Penzance, it was an easy trip from Heathrow. there is a bus which takes you to Reading Rail station. From there frequent trains to Penzance - a long ride but a beautiful one, and no hassles after the long overnight flight. We rented a car for a few days in Penzance, and for the other 3 days we walked . the train ride from Penzance to St. Ives is absolutely the most beautiful 20 min. journey you can take, and costs 3 pounds. We rented an apartment at the Wharf House Apartments( check the web).We were off season, and it was very reasonable, very convenient(walk to train station) and beautifully kept and fitted up.

Search this Thread