Day Trips from London: Lavenham

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Few folks probably pencil a day trip to Lavenham in their days out of London possibilities

I just happen to read somewhere that it was a neat small town and very historic - an old wool town i believe and the guildhall is still there and a National Trust property i think.

It was a pleasant day - took train to Sudbury , via a change off mainline at Marks Tey (sp?) to a sweet branch line that stopped every few miles and ended at Sudbury, a lively yet not really great market town. Some old writer i think has a National Trust owned home there i think.

Then onto the bus to Lavenham - getting off outside of the village itself at the stately parish church, surrounded by fields.

Inside the usual OAP volunteer staffer gave us a veritable tour, pointing out some weird tombstone i believe with some legend behind it.

Such a small village yet such a grandiose parish church - hinted at the village's once huge prosperity when i think it was a stop on the wool trade to the Continent or vice versa.

The town itself is small and not that much of interst besides it bevy of old half-timbered houses. To be sure there was an ancient looking pub.

Then we walked along the abandoned rail line towards Sudbury a bit before circling thru fields back to the bus stop in the town centre.

I may not have all the facts right but Lavenham is a really sleeper - especially for those who have already done the usual daytrips.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 12:39 PM

Thanks for remiding me of Lavenham! I had an Aunt who lived in small village on the Essex/Suffolk border and I went with her a couple of times. The only other NT property near by is Melford Hall which you can walk to through the fields from Lavenham. There is no NT house in Sudbury - I have the NT handbook in front of me.
Another lovely old house to visit in that area is Paycockes in Coggeshall. And if you are going by car of course Flatford and Dedham Vale are also close by.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 01:47 PM

Ahh, Lavenham. I stayed in Lavenham for three days in 2002 with friends. We used our little cottage as a base for driving rural Suffolk and bits of Essex and Dedham Vale. We absolutely were enthralled with the crooked half-timbered houses, all in wonderful soft hues of peach, pink, green, etc, as well as a few great restaurants on the main street.

Lavenham was once a very rich wool town in the 15th century and then fell into depression at some point. But this charming off-the-beaten-track town is worth the trip as it is the best-preserved medieval town in England, I believe. For anyone who shuns all touristy things Lavenham is sweet and unspoiled. Can you tell I was truly captivated?!
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 02:09 PM

bookmarking
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Hourly trains out of London Liverpool Street Station go to Mark's Tey - a station in the middle of nowhere and just a platform or two where you change to the shuttle train to Sudbury - short walk to bus station for frequent buses to Lavenham. Takes about two hours each way but have a look at Sudbury - a lively and old Suffolk market town.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 06:49 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Even better with a car so you can see various villages like Kersey, Long Melford, and other attractive places. Even even better with an overnight some place.