Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to get from London to Buckingham (near Milton Keynes)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone explain the best way to get from London to Buckingham (the city)? Should I take the train to Milton Keynes, then a taxi? Is Milton Keynes worth spending the day in?
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 02:32 PM

Buckingham is a town not a city. Milton Keynes has nothing to recommend it except the road out of it.

The X5 bus runs from the train station to Buckingham

http://www.stagecoachbus.com/GetUpload.ashx?Id=587
Old Jul 8th, 2010, 03:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>Is Milton Keynes worth spending the day in?</i>"

Uh - Let me think - Uh - nope
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 03:57 AM

Milton Keynes - not unless you like endless housing estates and chain store shopping. Nearby Bletchley Park (home of the WW2 code breakers) - most definitely yes.
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 04:40 AM

1. Getting to Buckingham. If you want tne town centre,. AlanR's right. But lots of British businessses give an address that includes their "post town". In a place like Buckingham, such addreses may be several miles away - possibly a lot nearer to MK station than to Buckingham town centre. Check with whoever you're visting, because a taxi from MK might be quicker and ultimately cheaper

2. Milton Keynes. Not a place for quirky shops, medieval churches or thatched cottages - but whether it's worth visiting really does depend on your interests. Millions of Britons live in "New Towns": places built practically from scratch in the 20th century, most (though not MK) in the immediate post-WW2 years and mainly, to be honest, close to hell holes. MK is THE great exception.

Unlike, say, Cumbernauld or Skelmersdale, its well-heeled neighbours drive into MK to shop from dozens of miles away, and many of the town's inhabitants rave over the quality of life there. It's got a decent theatre - and even a football ground in serious contention to host World Cup games in 2018, if England gets them.

Never going to be in anyone's list of 10 places to see before you die (though most of its inhabitants have little interest in living anywhere else). But if you've got any interest in what makes towns liveable in, MK's found some secrets that the suburban dumps many of its mockers live in have yet to stumble over.
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 05:44 AM

But if you've got any interest in what makes towns liveable in, MK's found some secrets that the suburban dumps many of its mockers live in have yet to stumble over.

I work there regularly and wouldn't live there even if you paid me lots of money!...not least because you can't really walk anywhere.
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 05:59 AM

"I work there regularly and wouldn't live there"

That just isn't the view of the people I've had working for me who live there. I'm no fan of the place either (though it's the handiest real John Lewis to much of the North Cotswolds) - but I've actually been involved in trying to pay people to move from there to Bristol in a reorganisation. Not one single person would do so.
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 12:40 AM

My suggstion would be to discover Milton Keynes for yourself and don't be put off by what other people say or think. If you want to find out more about Milton Keynes go to: www.destinationmiltonkeynes.co.uk to see what potentially it has to offer depending on what you're into. History (yes, it does have some!), activity sports, art & culture, shopping, etc, etc. Don't just write it off, try it for yourself and then pass judgement.
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 06:36 AM

You registered -- to <i>defend</i> Milton Keynes?? Sad in a way

No one said it was a bad place to live (well, alanRow did a bit) but even you must admit MK is not somewhere a visitor/tourist should spend a day. Especially when they have limited time in England . . . .
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

My son will be in soccer/football training at Stowe in Buckingham. I will be in London and want to visit him while here is staying there. I won't be staying in Milton Keynes, except to change trains.
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 07:14 PM

good decision