Day trip London to Knole, Sevenoaks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2010, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read on the National Trust site that there are train and bus services from London to Sevenoaks. Once there, should I hope that there will be taxi service to Knole? Given the immense size of the house and estate, is this practical for a day trip from London?

Thanks for any insight!
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 03:56 AM

A trip to Knole is easily do-able in a day and I think (from the hordes of visiting relatives I've taken all around the south of England) possibly one of the easiest stately homes to visit on a day trip from London.

I'd advise taking the train as it'll be quick (about 1/2 an hour from Charing Cross or 20 minutes from London Bridge if you get a fast train) and Sevenoaks station is pretty close to the house.

There will be taxis at the rank at Sevenoaks station and if there aren't when you arrive, one will come along shortly (you're in the definition of a commuter belt town). If one doesn't arrive, there's a taxi firm that has its offices in the station car park, so you shouldn't have to wait long. Journey time is probably in the region of five minutes, maybe less.

If the weather's fine, it's actually quite a nice walk (15-20 mins) from the station to the house. Go up St. Botolph's Road (diagonally opposite the station on the right) turn right at the war memorial opposite the cricket pitch, head along the high street, and after about five minutes the main entrance will be on your left.

The walk from the main entrance to the house will possibly take you about as long again, but you can stroll amongst the deer in the park and marvel at the other visitors studiously ignoring the signs asking you not to feed them.

The house is pretty spectacular, but the grounds even moreso, I find. A little bit of information that I imagine isn't included on the National Trust site is that The Beatles filmed part of the video for Strawberry Fields in the grounds, something I never fail to surprise/bore first-time visitors with.

It's all easily do-able in a day and you can be back in civilisation in time for supper.
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Jay,
Thanks so much for the transportation info and for the Beatles connection! Now there is even more to make me want to visit Knole. And the walk sounds like a perfect introduction to the house.
Elizabeth
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 05:08 AM

You're very welcome. Hope you enjoy your visit.