Gloucester, England

Old Jun 7th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gloucester, England

Can anyone suggest a hotel in Gloucester; I'll be arriving by train and would be walking or taking public transit while there researching family history.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 09:35 AM

Well, there's the Station Hotel right by the train station which might be convenient but it's not very salubrious - on tripadvisor it's rated 10 of 12 hotels in Gloucester.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-...nd-Hotels.html

I've posted the link so you can see the other 11 hotels. However most of them are out of the city centre so you'd need to look into bus links.

The Gloucester Records Offices are quite close to the station.

Cheltenham would be a much nicer place to stay, and you can get a train to Gloucester several times an hour. Painswick is a small market town with a couple of very nice hotels but is not on a direct bus route to Gloucester.

Can you tell me your budget, and whether you would consider staying outside Gloucester?

I live fairly close to Gloucester, and can at least suggest some options for you, but without a bit more detail it's the old needle-in-haystack situation!
There's no point in my suggesting a 250 GBP a night country house hotel up on the hill if you have only 50 GBP to spend and have to be in Gloucester city centre.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for responding - While I would definitely enjoy staying in a 250 GBP country house hotel, my budget is more in the 90 to 100 GBP range. I plan to research at the local family history society which is located at Spreadeagle Court at 110 Northgate Street, Gloucester and not too far from the Record Office.

The New Inn has mostly positive comments on Expedia; the owner took the time to respond to one negative comment. Have you any comments on it?

My Great-Grandfather was born in Newent reg district in 1832 in either Hartpury or Tibberton (there were two 9 year old boys with the same name in those places on the 1841 census) - I hope to figure out which one is mine by researching on the spot. How easy would it be to visit either place from Gloucester...is there a local bus?

Since I'd want to be researching at least part of each day, I'd prefer to stay right in Gloucester but good to know Cheltenham is easy to get to for a visit.
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 11:13 PM

Living in the area I don't have cause to stay at any local hotels. I'd forgotten about the New Inn, but it is right in the centre and the courtyard looks very inviting.

As for transport, here are a whole lot of links for you...

This website shows all the bus routes from Gloucester - the 32 and 132 go to Newent. Scroll down for rail routes.

http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/me..._All_10_s3.pdf

This next one has details about the daily 'Newent Shuttle'

http://www.carlberry.co.uk/rfnshowr.asp?RN=GL678A (This wesbite leads you to the stagecoach website which runs most of the local buses)

The timetables for the 132 are here, looks like it stops at Tibberton turn

http://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/docs...132_060909.pdf

I also found a 643 which passes through Tibberton, but it was an 2year old timetable.

Hartpury is serviced by Swanbrook buses, and the carlberry website gives you the info about them

http://www.carlberry.co.uk/rfnshowl.asp?L1=HAR181

Your best bet is to go to the bus station when you are in Gloucester and ask. They will be able to give you the most up-to-date advice, but at least you know there are buses going where you want to go.

When are you coming and how long will you be in Gloucester?
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Original Poster

Sorry not to have responded sooner - I had an invasion of squirrels in the house but that's taken care of now. I'm leaving tomorrow and will be in Gloucester on Wednesday for 3 days. Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Back from England and must say I enjoyed my stay in Gloucester; chose the New Inn because it was central and was given a room facing the pedestrian street. It was a bit noisy sometimes, deliveries at shops start early before the streets become pedestrian, but I can sleep with most racket and always am up early on holiday. When I was in the room, I could watch street life which pretty well ended when the shops closed at 5:30.

The staff at the New Inn were all friendly - breakfast was good, not great, and newspapers were provided so I could linger over coffee. Had coffee and snacks at the coffee shop in the Cathedral and at St. Mary de Lode, too.

Was the only person on a 3 pound, 1.5 hour walking city tour.

Always felt safe.

Learned my way around quickly - the tourist office had lots of info and told me I could use the internet free at the library for checking e-mail.

Ended up staying 6 days so I could get to the towns and villages associated with my Great and GtGt Grandparents and now know more about them from the help I got at the local family history society which I've now joined.

The buses were handy to get to Newent and Staunton where I lucked out and found the church warden on site at St. James' Church where GtGt Grandfather was baptized. Attended a fete at the church in Newent. Never made it to Tibberton as I wasn't sure how long it would take to walk in and out and meet up with the Newent bus on time.

Boy though those seagulls are a nuisance - I was glad I had a hat and kept thinking I heard a baby crying at first.

One waste of 3 hours was a trip to Cheltenham - yes, lovely Regency buildings but nothing else but shopping - I followed a sign for a church that said it was always open but it wasn't; I couldn't wait to get the bus back to Gloucester which run every 20 minutes.

Took a canal boat ride and shopped at Marks and Spencer outlet shop at the Quays which one of the staff at the Inn told me isn't doing so well.

I was sorry to leave for London and hope to get back to Gloucestershire some time.