Where to stay near University of Leeds?

Old May 8th, 2004, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay near University of Leeds?

My lucky son is off to the University of Leeds for his junior year abroad in September 04, and I, of course, want to go visit. Does anyone have advice about a nice hotel or B & B near the University? I have read all the websites I could find, but I still can't tell exactly where things are located in regard to the University. I'd like to be in walking distance, if possible. Other Leeds advice (for either of us) is welcome, too!
Old May 8th, 2004, 06:38 AM

Hi
I work in Leeds so will try to help. Two Hotels in Leeds spring to mind - Malmaison and 42 The Calls. However, they are not cheap! Not sure what your budget is - but Leeds is very much a boom town right now with Hotels to suit all budgets and some fantastic shops! It has the only Harvey Nicks outside London. Leeds has an excellent bus service and buses go from the bus and train station to the University, or you could walk - about 20/25 minutes I would estimate. Leeds is terrific for night life and has some wonderful restaurants. Happy to give you more info but not sure where to start! You ask the questions and I will try and answer??? I too have a son at Uni (not Leeds) and a teenage daughter - and they could give you the teenage view of the city!
M
Old May 8th, 2004, 07:04 AM

A couple of years ago my son too, spent a semester at the University of Leeds. When we visited him we stayed at the Ascot Grange Hotel, on Otley Road. Andy chose it for us because it was on a straight bus line from the University to downtown Leeds. I don't know if you'll be renting a car but you really don't need one in Leeds. The transit system is excellent. The Ascot was a fine stay! The owners were more than lovely. Services included a "full English breakfast" and a full bar. I don't recall the cost but I assure you, it wasn't expensive. See if there is a website for them. Also, if you have time, visit The Hollies. It's a BEAUTIFUL garden within walking distance to The Ascot Grange.
Have a wonderful trip!
Old May 8th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for two great replies! I'll be back with more questions, for both of you. I have serious doubts about my own safety and that of the other people on the road if I try driving on the left. But, can I easily get to Haworth without a car? I can't be that close to the home of the Brontes and not go visit! I will check out websites for the hotels both of you mentioned. Thanks again.
Old May 9th, 2004, 01:22 AM
Val

A new Ibis hotel has just been built within walking distance of most of the university buildings and the city centre.

There are two universities in Leeds and several campuses but this is in reach by foot of public transport of all of them.

Its rates a very reasonable for Leeds and Ibis do have a website.
Old May 9th, 2004, 06:17 AM

I second what the others have said. There are also many small hotels/ B&Bs in Headingley - the main student part of town. I guess it'd take around 20 minutes to walk to university, although there are lots of buses. If you haven't already looked at it, www.leeds.gov.uk has a search facility for accommodation in the city. There's also a Marriott hotel in the city centre - again it'd be a 20 min (uphill!) walk to the universities, but buses are plentiful. If you need any further info, just ask - I studied at Leeds so know the area quite well. I also remember junior year abroad students joining our classes - think they were from UCLA.
Old May 9th, 2004, 10:17 AM

Hi again
If you are a Bronte fan then you must go to the Bronte Parsonage. Despite the many tourists it definitely retains an atmosphere. However there is no train from Leeds to Haworth. (Haworth has a small steam railway but it is just a tourist line). I think there MIGHT be a bus though from Leeds but I am not sure. I sometimes travel to work (in Leeds) by bus so I will check at the bus station in the next few days and get back to you. Have you read The Brontes by Juliet Barker? She used to run the Parsonage Museum and her book is wonderful.
Just outside Leeds, on the road to Harrogate, is Harewood House (www.harewood.org)well worth a visit.
You are also within easy reach of York.
M
Old May 9th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Please do let me know about the bus, Morgana. mkdiebold and Janauk, maybe you could help my son decide on where to stay for a year. As an exchange student, he has a guaranteed spot in university housing, but there are so many choices! Any advice on this? I can't believe my good luck in finding all of you experienced Leeds people.
Old May 10th, 2004, 12:02 AM

Hi again.
I've got your info for you re Haworth.
You can't travel directly from Leeds to Haworth. HOWEVER, you can travel from Leeds to Keighley, and then from Keighley to Haworth. This is perfectly manageable.
For the first part of the journey (Leeds/Keighley) you are far better to go by train as this takes roughly 25 minutes. If you went by bus it takes 1 hour, 10 minutes as it goes 'all round the houses' as they say up here. The trains leave Leeds station regularly (about every 20 minutes) so you can easily choose what time you go. Then you will go by bus on the second leg, from Keighley to Haworth. Apparently the rail and train stations in Keighley are close to each other. The bus from Keighley to Haworth takes 15 minutes and they go 3 times an hour, so again you won't have to wait around for long.
When you are in Leeds and planning your trip I suggest you phone 0113 245 7676. This is the number that gives you detailed timetable information for buses and trains, and you can find out what times are most suitable.
As far as fares go, you can buy your train ticket (return) from Leeds station before your journey. You pay for your bus ticket as you board the bus itself.
M
Old May 10th, 2004, 03:43 AM

Me yet again!
Meant to add that a very good website for life in Leeds is www.bbc.co.uk/leeds
There's a good section on Leeds student life as well as general info on the city itself.
M
Old May 10th, 2004, 05:43 AM

Re: where you son should stay... that's a difficult question! There are several places on the university campus, then there are places further out. There's also the question of whether he wants to have his meals provided or to cook for himself. The university website www.leeds.ac.uk has good information (and photos) of accommodation. When I was at Leeds I lived at Lupton flats which are in Headingley. I also had friends at James Baillie, Bodington, Charles Morris and St Marks - so I could answer any questions you might have of them. But there are also 'posher' halls - ensuite rooms, internet access, etc. The ones I've mentioned are a bit basic (well they were in my day!) Most of the off-campus accommodation is situated off Otley Road - where there's a very frequent bus service into the university and then to Leeds (until the early hours of the morning).
Old May 10th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again to both of you for such good information. Janauk, I'll get back to you with specific dormitories for your impressions. Morgana, I really appreciate your detailed bus directions and the website suggestions. That's one I hadn't found on my own. No new questions tonight, but they'll be coming!
Old May 30th, 2004, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

To the Leeds experts who answered before: What do you think of Haley's Hotel? We have decided to try driving, in order to make countryside visits easier, and it seems like this location might be easy to get into/out of, as well as being close to the University. Am I right about this, and is the hotel as nice as it looks on the web? I was thinking of flying into London for a few days, then taking the train to York for one overnight, picking up the car there and driving to Leeds. Does this make sense to you? Or should we take the train directly to Leeds and visit York from there? I'm sure we do not want to pick up the car in London. Thank you again.
Old May 30th, 2004, 01:51 PM

Haworth is a very charming little village. Here's a website:

http://www.haworth.yorks.com/views.html

Old May 31st, 2004, 12:54 AM

Your son is lucky. I know Leeds well, having studied there for four years and then worked there for three more. In fact, I was there this weekend, and agree that it is a boom town. You will have no worries in finding a nice hotel in the centre. Just do a search or three on the usual sites. Is your son staying on campus? If so, then any city centre hotel will be a 20 minute walk up a slight hill. If he is staying outside campus, then he could be anything up to 4 miles away. Tell me his residence and I will do my best to help. FYI, Hayley's hotel is a nice one and is in Headingley, near to the University and at the centre (or one of them) of student life.
FYI, you can get to Haworth, York, Harrogate etc. by public transport. None is more than 40 mins or so by train. Ilkley is a pleasant town too, but no real 'sight' to see apart from the famous (in UK anyway) Ilkely Moor.
Try not to visit after November. It is very dark very early in northern England (it can get dark as early as 3 30) Much nicer to leave it till April, if you can manage that long without seeing your son. If you do come in winter, start the day early so as not to live your life in gloom.
Old May 31st, 2004, 01:00 AM

Re train travel.
Get an Apex style ticket from London to Leeds and visit York by train as an add on day trip. It will cost about £30 return if you get the cheapest ticket, but do NOT book that for the day you arrive in London. If your plane is late or something else happens and you cannot get that train, you will have lost that money and will have to pay for another ticket. Such a ticket - because it is not prebooked and is long distance - will be expensive. gner.co.uk or thetrainline.com will let you book tickets three months ahead. Book early, avoid rush hours and Fridays, and get a bargain. You can collect the ticket from a machine at the station (Kings Cross for Leeds trains) or from a real live person. Both need a PIN given to you when you book. A day trip to York from Leeds will be less than £12 there and back (return is how we say round trip).
FYI, if you were thinking of flying to Leeds, it is a pretty long way from the city centre and with poor public transport. A night or two in London and a train trip would be better.
Old May 31st, 2004, 02:50 AM

Blimey, talk about it being 'grim oop north' - I have lived in Yorkshire for 14 years, before that I lived in Suffolk - and there's only minutes between the times the sun sets in the winter in these two areas!!!! The days are as cold and dark in London as they are in Leeds - and we actually used to get far more ice and snow in Suffolk than we have ever done 'oop north'. But a trip in April would be much more scenic - spring flowers, lambs in fields etc
I agree about getting the train to Leeds and then day trips to York. There is a terrific bus service between Leeds and Harrogate called 'the 36' - double decker, leather seats, and very cheap. Even has it's own website www.the36.co.uk Buses go every 20 minutes and half way through the journey you pass Harewood House. The bus actually stops outside the gates to this Stately Home and many tourists use this (although there's quite a long walk down the very long driveway to the house!). The bus driver will give you half price tickets to tour the house/gardens if you wish. www.harewood.org gives details. Buses also go from Leeds to York. The phone number I gave you in an earlier posting will give details.
Sorry, but I don't know of Hayley's Hotel.
Happy to answer any more questions but will be away for the next few days.
M