Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Charming Hotel/B&B for Two Night Stay in Venice

Feb 6th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

I unexpectedly got tickets to Italy today for my husband and I. We arrive in Venice the morning on May 13th and will spend two nights before going to Florence. In Florence we will stay with my husband's best friend and he is acting as our tour guide for the next week. Since Venice is the only time that the two of us will be alone, I'm trying to find something charming and quaint in the budget to moderate range. I'd like to keep it to $200 USD or below. I'm been reading a ton of posts and here are the places I have already sent inquiries to:

Pensione La Calcina
Locando Orseolo
Hotel Galleria
Hotel Riva
B&B Sandra
Hotel Ca' del Brocchi
Casa Formosa

I know some of these are more expensive but I tried to hit the ones that I saw listed a bunch. I think the charm and quaintness overrides whether it is on the water or has a view.

We are in our late twenties and tend to walk a lot on our vacations. Any additional recs are much appreciated!

Feb 7th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Obviously, I'm planning late for May reservations. All the responses back so far have been that they are booked. I can take all the help I can get! B&B Sandra looked to be great and probably my first choice, but was taken.

Thanks,
Jenny
Feb 7th, 2008, 05:40 AM

Hi jenny,

not sure about the hotels you mention - [have a look at franco's super favourite accommodation in Vencie thread] but I would strongly suggst that you ask the friend if you can arrive a day later, giving yourselves 3 nights in Venice. 2 nights really only gives you one day, and when you factor in jetlag as well, you're going to be very pushed for time.

also 3 nights would enable you to think about an apartment which you mgiht enjoy too.

regards, ann
Feb 7th, 2008, 10:35 AM

I really enjoyed Casa Rezzonico in Dorsudoro. Their website isn't very informative, but I think they have a great location. We had a room with a canal view (not the Grand Canal) and they have a nice courtyard out back.

www.casarezzonico.it
Feb 7th, 2008, 10:47 AM

Unfortunatley I think it is a bit late for those places often mentioned here or the Tripadvisor favorites. You can go to www.venere.com and run your dates for availability. Who knows, you may stumble into a brand new favorite! But regardless of whre you stay - you WILL have a wonderful time in Venice.
Feb 7th, 2008, 11:00 AM

I love Pensione La Calcina and have stayed there twice. It's a wonderful place to stay. If you have any specific questions, I'm happy to answer if I can.
Feb 8th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

So far I can get a double room at Casa Rezzonico with a bathroom and courtyard view for 150E/night or a double corner with view of the Grand Canal without private bath at Hotel Galleria for 135E/night.

The price and bathroom aren't a big determining factor. We have done the shared bathroom many times and don't mind that for the amount of time we will be staying there. Any thoughts on comparing these two hotels. It seems Casa Rezzonico is a bit more off the beaten trail?

I'm going to post on Franco's thread regarding neighborhood but would love any input on the actual hotel experience differences.

Thanks for all the help. This is the quickest I've ever had to plan a big trip! I'm used to my 6 months of research before making any reservations.
Jenny
Feb 8th, 2008, 04:25 AM

I had booked, but subsequently had to cancel reservations at Hotel Vecellio - no. 27 on tripadviser.

The owner was very helpful both by telephone and e-mail, and the hotel looked both charming and well-located with a nice view of the islands.

Feb 9th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. I booked the room at Hotel Rezzonico. Hopefully, it's a good pick! I will post a report upon my return.
Feb 9th, 2008, 04:02 AM

We stayed at Locanda San Barnaba, about 50-100 meters from Ca Rezzonica. It's a very nice location, quiet but the vaporetto stop can whisk you to San Marco in minutes. Be sure to wander the streets between the Grand Canal and the Guidecca side, and visit Campo San Margherita. You will be out of the tourist horde but close enough to go anywhere. We walked to the Rialto, stopping by the Frari church, and to have a coffee break along the way...
Feb 9th, 2008, 05:22 AM

Good choice! I don't think Rezzonico is too far off the beaten path. It's a beautiful area and nice & quiet.

Here are a few pics we took from there if you want to take a look!

http://tinyurl.com/yrwtoq