Please help with Venice hotels

Aug 20th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Please help with Venice hotels

I know that this has probably been covered ad nauseum, but I would love some help with Venice hotels and my initial search (going back 100 Venice posts) yielded little help so I decided to post.

DH and I are making our first trip to Venice in early May. I had my heart set on Locanda Orseolo, which I know gets raves here, but I received a quote of 230 euro, which unfortunately is above our price range. I looked at others, including la Calcina, but it too appears to be above our price range.

We are looking for a decent, at least somewhat centrally located hotel for around or under $175 per night. Is this even possible? My initial searches on travelocity are bringing up hotels in that price range but they are out by the airport or further away from the city then we prefer. I guess if we have to go above $175 we'll just have to cut corners somewhere, but I'm hoping we won't have to. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Tracy
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:07 AM

Try looking at www.venere.com for possibilities. I've seen recommendations here for one or two that come up there: Casa Rezzonico, La Forcola... Another that is recommended here (I'm not sure I saw it at venere) is Riva.

But I'd just use venere for research and contact the hotels directly.
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:11 AM

We are going to be staying at the Hotel Abbazia - it's not totally central, but is in Venice proper and within walking distance of everything ... and our quoted price is 170E per night. It's a very historic converted abbey, and is supposed to be quite comfortable.

Depending on the amount of time you will be in Venice, you may want to consider renting an apartment. We always do this whenever we are in a city for more than three or four nights - this time we are just passing through Venice for two nights, though, so we are staying in a hotel.
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:19 AM

We stayed at Locanda Art Deco ( www.locandaartdeco.com )in early May this year, and found it to be a nice enough hotel although maybe just outside of your price range. If you do book here though, as about the availability of a room that doesn't face the street. It will be a little quieter since the ones on the street overlook a small cafe.
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:45 AM

Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo
Well within your price range, central yet not busy, well considered on Tripadvisor.com. I loved this place.

http://www.alpontemocenigo.com/en/index.htm
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:55 AM

hotel orion...small and in your price range...just 2 blocks from san marco

www.hotelorion.it
Aug 20th, 2007, 09:13 AM

Tracy----I feel your pain. The exchange rate is terrible now. A non-view room at La Calcina for 150 euro would normally be in your price range, but not at $1.41 to the euro. And I guess you can't count on it coming down. But one thing to consider here---you can save money by dining al fresco on their rooftop terrace, which you can reserve for private use for an hour (at sunset is best). Go up the Zattere to the Billa grocery store (10 minutes' walk) and buy a selection of antipasti (they have many already made up)and a salad. With bread and wine, it's a great meal, and a magical experience. We did it twice during out stay in Venice--our two most enjoyable dinners there.
Aug 20th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your help!

I tried the links given and two of the hotels say that nothing is availabe and the other is requesting a minimum of 3 nights for the dates I've given. I'm assuming that it may just be too early to book and that is why two of the hotels have no rooms available, although it is certainly possible that they are booked up.

Enzian, thank you for your thoughts! We just booked our tickets with ff miles and I've started looking at hotels and to be honest I think I have a little sticker shock at the prices of hotels in Switzerland and Venice! DH and I are usually more budget travelers when it comes to hotels because we don't really spend much time there, but I just called him and told him that we may have to suck it up and expect to pay more. I assumed that Venice would be more expensive but I'm surprised by Switzerland. We've traveled quite a bit around Europe and I haven't had too much of a problem finding budget accommodations yet but this is going to be a tough one!

Tracy
Aug 20th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

scdreamer, I forgot to mention above that unfortunately we will only be in Venice for 2 nights so an apartment probably isn't the best way to go. We are big apartment advocates and stay in them when possible but with 2 nights we'll probably have to stay in a hotel or b&b.

Thanks!
Tracy
Aug 20th, 2007, 10:30 AM

Tracy, an acquaintance of mine stayed at B&B Ca' Isabella on the Giudecca for around 90 euros a night. It was spartan but very clean and convenient. Good luck in your quest.
Aug 20th, 2007, 10:34 AM

Tracy, You wrote that you contacted three of the hotels mentioned, but didn't name them.

If you did not contact Casa Rezzonico in Dorsoduro yet, and if they do have availabiity, ask if there is a cash discount.

We paid cash last year and were given a discounted room rate.
Aug 20th, 2007, 10:37 AM

You've picked the expensive time for Venice, and Switzerland is always expensive. You might consider Austria as an alternative, a bit cheaper than Switzerland, but current exchange rates are kinda painful for almost any overseas travel (and I wouldn't bet on them getting better soon).

Finding something nice in Venice for under 120 euro in high season seems pretty unlikely. For 2 nights, I would just bite the bullet.
Aug 20th, 2007, 10:43 AM

Tracy---I think the hotels are showing no availablity because they are not ready to take bookings fo rnext May. I'm sure they are not already full!

I like the website www.VeniceBy.com for looking at hotels and checking prices---you might check out the 2-star offerings there. (And then book directly with the hotel).

As for Switzerland, hotels in the cities are very expensive, but in the alpine villages you can find affordable options---especially in the off-season, which May will be in Switzerland (but not Venice). Where do you want to go? Maybe I can help.
Aug 20th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

curmudgeon, our flights are already booked into Geneva and out of Venice. We loved Austria and have been several times, but Switzerland is a place we spent very little time so we have been aching to visit. We'll just have to deal with the accommodation prices I guess!

i_am_kane, I haven't actually contacted the hotels, just clicked on their "prices and availability" page of their websites. The ones I researched that were unavailable were Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo and Hotel Orion. Locanda Art Deco required three nights. I will definitely look at Casa Rezzonico.

I did use Venere.com and found what looks like a nice place, Locanda Correr. The price is 135 euro per night and it appears to be in a good location. Anyone know about this hotel?

Thanks!
Tracy
Aug 20th, 2007, 11:24 AM
LJ

Sorry can't comment on one above but can reccomend an alternative:
www.ahotelinitaly.com/hotel-tre-archi-venice

The Hotel Tre Archi is not fancy, but has charm, is within your price range and we can personally reccomend it after 2 stays there ourselves. It is not so close to Piazza San Marco as some but IMHO that is an advantage limiting noise and the "roar of the crowd". It is in Cannareggio just beyond the Jewish Ghetto with direct access to the Vaporetto system.
Aug 20th, 2007, 11:39 AM

Hi Tracy,

We're staying at a B&B in Venice next year.

Le Mansarde
Rio Terà San Leonardo, Cannaregio 1353/c - C. A. P. 30121

tel&fax : + 39 041.718826
mobil.: +39 338.8688935
email: [email protected]
[email protected]
Here's an article about this B&B:
http://www.boston.com/travel/article...learn_to_cook/

I'm very happy with my correspondense with Anna Maria so far. She even sent pictures of herself and family to us. Her rates are 110€ for a double and 150€ for an apartment.

We've also stayed at Pensione Guerrato Phone: 041.5285927 RIALTO BRIDGE AREA and were very happy with it.

It is a challenge in Venice, but so worth it. Switzerland is even more expensive.

Aug 20th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your suggestions. I'm going to take a look in just a few minutes!

I think Switzerland is going to prove to be a little harder. To be honest we really don't have a budget for our trip, we just naturally tend to look for hotels in the lower end of the price range. We can afford more expensive hotels, its more that we hate paying for it when we don't spend much time in our room. For this vacation we are just going to have to get over it and expect to pay more for accommodations than we have in the past. I'll have to post separately about Switzerland soon!

Thanks again everyone!
Tracy
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:29 PM

Tracy,

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but my boyfriend and I will be staying at Casa Alloggi Gerotto & Calderan. It is apparently half hostel, half hotel -- we'll be staying in the hotel portion. We got a room with an en suite bathroom for 85 euros a night, which we were so excited about since we are visiting in September and all the hotel rates were were finding were much more expensive. We actually were quoted a rate as low as 70 euros for a double room with a private bathroom, but the bathroom was located in the hall (although you are the only one with the key, so no one else can use it).

It is located next to the Santa Maria train station. The reviews I read were very positive, but it is a very basic budget place, apparently -- clean, but not ritzy or anything. But that worked for us!
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:32 PM

We are staying at Ca' Bonvicini this October. Rate for Superior room with balcony/canal view is 145Euro. Standard would be less. Not sure what it will be in May 2008, you'd have to email for rates. Nice little place, not too far from central areas. Has great reviews on TA. Very nice working with them online so far.
http://www.cabonvicini.com/eng/location.html
Good luck,
dee

Aug 20th, 2007, 12:36 PM

Ditto with Images2! We have reserved with Anna-Maria at Le Mansarde and so far I am very impressed. We will not be going until after you have returned however!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO