Cesky Krumlov for the elderly

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's an easy question--there have been a lot of posts regarding the merits of going to Cesky Krumlov and for how long but I haven't seen too many posts saying if it's accessible to the elderly.

I am considering treating my parents to this town but am concerned if C. Krumlov is easy to walk around. Are the town sights far apart and any steep hills that I should be aware of? My parents are in their mid 60's and relatively good shape, but I try to leave out itineraries that may be too strenuous.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 11:35 AM

The town is just lovely! It would be a great place for your parents except maybe for walking up to the gardens (which they do not have to do - there are better but you go for the views). But even walking up is not terribly steep - just a little. There are not a lot of sites per se other than the castle - everything is close together. CK is small. There are maybe one or two sort of steep streets but they are not the main ones - they are more secondary. I would definitely not classify it as a strenuous town.

Other than that the town is very small and gorgeous and pure joy to wander around. You can see everything in a few hours but if you take your time it is more enjoyable. It is not a town to be rushed. There are a few interesting restaurants and lovely pensions.

I would recommend at least one night so you can capture the true town in the evening and early morning. We usually stay at least two. There are daytrips possible from CK as well.
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 11:38 AM

You consider mid 60s to be elderly? I wouldn't tell your parents that as it would hurt their feelings tremendously.
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 11:40 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Take a look at Day Six of my current trip report. CK is terrific. They probably would not want to do the climb to the top of the castle, but the walk to the castle is not bad.

If you get a chance, have lunch at a picnic table down by the river at U Dwau Marii. Interesting, unique, affordable and good Bohemian food.

I agree with t2l2 that an overnight is really nice. Castle is lit up and there are places to have a night time libation along the river.

Have a great time. By the way, since I just turned 56, people in their mid 60s are NOT elderly, only a bit more mature.

Old Aug 29th, 2008, 05:15 PM

It's beautiful but quite compact. I think they would be able to enjoy it.

Please check out "the turnips excessively long trip report" for more info and suggestions.
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 07:11 PM

Go to Cesky Krumlov, guv. It is a BEAUTIFUL TOWN.

Thin loves CK (and that isn't Calvin Klein, sweetie darling).

Thingorjus
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 07:37 PM

At age 75 if somebody tried to tell me what to do about a trip to Cesky Krumlov, I would tell them to pack it in. I'll make my own plans.

I full disagree about with the avove about how easy Cesky Krumlov is to walk.

If you come in at the lower part and go up to the entrance to castle, you have a short uphill walk with a fews steps and a sloped wakway.

If you come in over the famous bridge from the tour bus parking lot, there is considerable downhill walking to the town square.

Several people in our tour group did not go down to the square from the castle entrance because of the gradient of the hill.

I had no trouble with it, but these people did not do it.
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 08:07 PM

Bob et al:

>>>At age 75 if somebody tried to tell me what to do about a trip to Cesky Krumlov, I would tell them to pack it in. I'll make my own plans.<<<

I'm with you Bob old boy!
At 79, nearing 80, I feel the same. If my kids or grandkids posted on Fodors and referred to wife and me as elderly, they'd get "what for from me". Referring to parents in their 60's as "elderly"...preposterous.

CK is a delightful little town...we did it 6 years ago. A bit hilly, but otherwise comfortable even for you young 'uns.

Mid-60's elderly!...hogwash! You picked the right screen name, kid...Homer Simpson! If you're lucky and eat your spinach, maybe you'll even get there someday.

stu T.
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 10:12 PM

There are many cobblestones, stairs, and hills in that town. I would not say it is an easy town to walk in, but it IS a rather small place. With that said, it is just a matter of individual endurance, stamina, etc, and everyone is different. I am in shape, and I can get winded in that town. However, I have always had to walk all the way from the street (viscinity of Hotel Ruze), so maybe there is a way to get dropped off near the castle. I would say that if you have any access to a driver/car, etc, then definitely go for it. (Or just get a taxi if & when the going gets rough.)
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 10:32 AM

I thought the post was a little funny as I did a day tour to CK from Prague and the tour guide was in his mid60s! Now some people are definitely in better shape than others at that age, and some would not be up for strenuous walks/hikes, but homer said they were in relatively good shape, so I would not worry.

However, I do agree that I would not call CK easy and no problem in terms of walking around. Cobblestones are always a problem and there are hills. The castle itself and gardens are on a hill (the castle not too far from the main part below, and then the street going by the church and to the museum are uphill. It's not a super steep hill for miles or anything.

So I think no problem for people in mid60s in good shape, but would be a problem for people who have problem with a lot of walking at various levels. However, the sights are not far apart, so that isn't a problem.
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 02:40 PM

Good grief... I must be retarded. I'm 70 and still do not think of myself as elderly. No one in my crowd is elderly either -
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 06:32 PM

If you are in Europe , Prague, etc for any amount of time before hitting CK you all should be in good shape. Europe always entails a LOT of walking (especially if you do it independently of a tour).
My husband and I did CK 2 years ago. We were 68 and 74 and did 18 days in Central Europe by train. Exercise keeps you young.
Now, it either of them has hip or knee problems, or are very "overweight" then that is a different story. If that is the case, then just GO SLOWLY. Spend the night.
It was an absolute highlight of our trip! GO FOR IT!
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 08:29 PM

Hey, my dad is 85, and C K would not be a problem for him. He was also in the army in WW2, and I think he is almost as agile now as he was then! My mom would never make it past the first cobblestone, and she is 78. It all depends on the shape you're in. (and your determination!)
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 12:53 PM

I'm guessing homer is about 22...