HedielBurg

Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HedielBurg

Has anyone been to Heidelburg? I just read in national geograpic that it was ranked 7th or 8 in a survey they did on best places to visit. Whats the big deal - it seems like just a castle. We might be near franfurt this summer so I am trying to decide if it is worth a stop.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 08:51 PM

Heidelberg is a very famous old German university town. It has a picturesque and historically interesting old town. If you want some information, try the following web site. http://www.e-heidelberg.com/

I suspect it's worth a stop.

Have a good summer.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 05:24 AM

Worth a stop if it's on your way, or if you are intending to eplore the Neckar River Valley or the Odenwald, but it's mostly quite modern, aside from the old town and university area near the castle, and in this region there are many other more interesting and more scenic towns - and better castle visits - IMO.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 06:24 AM

Heidelberg is very charming. If you plan to spend a day, I would suggest the castle tour with lunch overlooking the city, stroll the oldtown, do some shopping, check out the churches, have dinner at the foot of the old bridge. We also took a cruise on the nekkar river which was fun - you can get off at any village and just catch the next boat.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 02:40 PM

Heidelberg is well worth a day. Stroll the old town, climb to the castle, admire the views from up there. A second day was just a little too much.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 02:47 PM

Heidelburg is a stop on many tours. I think many Americans relate Heildelburg with something from a musical. In the summer, the place will be swarming with high school students and others that are doing a whirlwind tour of Germany. I wouldn't go out of my way to to see it (based on past experience). Go to Bad Homburg instead.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 03:19 PM

You're looking for stops "near Frankfurt"?
Heidelberg is one, certainly. Others are Bad Homburg, Limburg, Michelstadt, and Rudesheim.
If time, from Rudesheim it is but a short trip further to Assmannshausen, Oberwesel, Bacharach (across Rhine ferry from Lorch) and St Goar.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 04:07 PM

I lived nearby and have spent lots of time in Heidelberg. It's worth a day to explore. The castle is the main attraction and it will take several hours to explore. It offers excellent views of the city and the Neckar river.

The area around the university is charming and the bridge across the river is a good place to relax. There are several churches to explore and you can go into the hills overlooking the river for a serene moment.

The Hauptstrasse is a nice area to shop, eat, and watch the people stroll. Heidelberg has a decent zoo and many parks as well. In the Frankfurt area, it's probably you're best bet.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 06:03 PM

I wouldn't rank it in the top ten, but Heidelberg is a charming city on the Neckar River. If you are nearby, it's worth at least a half-day to see the altstadt, cathedral, university area and of course the castle overlooking town. I enjoyed hiking up there.