Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Walk through Tauber Valley: Rothenburg to Detwang.

Old Jul 31st, 2004, 01:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're staying overnight in Rothenburg in mid September. This is our 2nd trip, and I want to do somthing different while my wife shops, etc. Rick Steves' travel book suggest a walk through the Tauber Valley to "hear the birds and smell the cows". The trail goes to a 600 year old castle, a covered bridge over the Tauber River, to the sleepy village of Detwang, and back to Rothenburg. Steve does not memntioned how far or long a walk this is. Can someone provide more information on this self guided walk? Thanks,
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 03:35 AM

It is only about 2Km in length and provides a peaceful pastoral interlude to the tourist hubbub of Rothenburg.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 04:25 AM

Great! Is there a map or details online somewhere? Is that the little castle you can see from Rothenburg's wall (the one that supposedly had a tunnel running from it back up to the city?) Thanks, J.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 09:04 AM

TwoTravelers:
This walk to Detwang was the highlight of my overnight trip to Rothenburg!
Be sure to ring the little white "castle's" bell. If the caretaker is home, you can climb to the top for views and some old photos of the area around WWII. The gentleman was pleasant and tries out his english.
The pathway is posted, and you may run into a few other walkers at the beginning. Just keep asking with a smile "?Detwang"
Be sure to visit the town's church for another carved ?Riemenschneider wooden alterpiece, less well-known.
If my memory is correct, the castle is called Toppler Schosschen...Enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 09:17 AM

The small strange shaped castle is Topplers as the poster above stated. I did the walk with a friend a few years ago while the wives shopped. Nice area and fun to walk through. You can go as far as you want. We did not make it too Detwang.

We also found a small farmhoue outside of town as you go south on the autobahn. The guy sells wooden hand made toys out of his barn that he also sells part time in town. Nice things and fun to find.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 09:32 AM

TwoTravelers:
Hope you are still checking for responses! The village of Detwang is at the "head" of the question-marked configured city of RodT (opposite end of the train station).
Go under the arch at St. Jakobs Kirche and follow Klingengasse through the town gate, heading down the pathway.
Frommer.com highly recommends cafe-bar Unter den Linden on the River Tauber, open 10am to 10pm....