Search

Cesky Krumlov

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cesky Krumlov

I will be traveling to Prague on March 15th and I'm interested in taking a side trip to Cesky Krumlov. But there is a problem. The castle and Baroque Theater in Cesky Krumlov are not open until after March 31st. I fly back to the US on March 31. Question: Is it worth paying a visit to Cesky Krumlov even though the castle and Baroque Theater are closed?
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 10:51 AM

We visited in June last year and did take the castle tour. While the castle is worthwile, the town is lovely too. I would still take the trip there since I imagine there are fewer people in town then I bet it is really nice. We really enjoyed the evening after the bus tours returned to Prague.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 11:16 AM
rex

You're in Prague for 16 days? That is a whole lot longer than 90% of tourists from other countries, I suspect. Will you traveling out to other destinations while you are there? While I agree that Cesky Krumlov is fascinating (the geography alone is mind-boggling) - - it makes the most sense to go there en route to somewhere else rather than just a blind loop round trip from/back to Prague - - for my money.

Are you tied to Prague for the entire 16 days by business or other obligations?

There is a lot to like about southwestern Poland - - based on what others write, and my very limited foray across the border on our 2003 trip there.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 12:29 PM

I can't imagine visiting Cesky Krumlov without seeing the Rosenberg Castle and Baroque Theatre. They are just too important to the town. Also, as Cesky Krumlov is know for its beautiful landscape, it is hard to image what it would look like without foliage on the trees. Being March, the trees and flowers would not be in bloom.

I would save Cesky Krumlov for a better time of year.

Have you thought about a side trip to Dresden (2 hours by train from Prague) or Terezin Concentration Camp??
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 12:31 PM

Will you have a car?

The Czech Republic has some wonderful, wonderful castles. On the road to Cesky Krumlov is Zhikov Castle. Personally I felt enchanted by this castle, it's somewhere you can wander around in and pretend that you are living in the age of King Arthur.

To the west of Prague is the magnificent Karlstejn.

To the east of Prague is Kutna Hora, another entire town to explore and with a stunning cathedral - Santa Barbara.

Then, there's Prague itself...

Lucky you! Explore the Czech Republic and its riches, don't just go to Cesky Krumlov! How lucky to have 15 days there!
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 12:40 PM

I studied in prague for the whole eternity so feel free to ask any questions [email protected]
Cesky Krumlov is definetely place to see, even though the castele is not working (you will miss the bear pit as well as the great panoramic view from the top of the tower) However, city is charming and if u go by car, so stop on your way back at Restaurant Mlini (inexpensive typical czech food). Also do visit Karlovy Vary (on your way back go to the restaurant near Krusovice Brewery- i was thrilled with food and prices) and do go visit Telc if u have time. I wish u all the best
I.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. My current travel plans - they may change- include 7 nights in Prague, 3 nights in Brno, and 5 nights in Budapest. I'm going to Brno to see a friend plus a museum or two about 10 miles outside Brno. From what I've read, it's the 200 Anniversary of the Battle of Austerlitz this year - Napoleon's famous battle. The battlefield is just outside of Brno. Since I'm interested in history, I thought it would be nice to see some artifacts regarding the battle and Napoleon in these museums.

When I first started researching my trip, I had a lot of input from my friends. I knew I was going to fly into Prague, but I had to decide what other cities would be on my itinerary. My friends suggested that I should see Germany (Munich), Poland (Krakow), or Austria (Vienna). After doing some research, I decided to go to Budapest. It was a tough very decision, but I told myself that I will see these other cities on future trips.

Around Prague, I think I will visit the Terezin Concentration Camp, Karlovy Vary, Karlstejn, and maybe even Kutna Hora. Time will tell.

Old Feb 20th, 2005, 06:44 AM

I went to Cesky Krumlov from Ceske Budejovice this morning, I could assure you it was pictureseque beuäutiful covered by white snow.

The castle rooms are not open, but visitors could still walk through the castle ground,see the spires and rooftops of the inner town.

The winding little streets, colorful historical buildings are still beautiful. Best of all, with only handful of visitors, it is possible to stroll around, appreciate the beauty all by oneself.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 07:09 AM

We loved CK--do not miss it.
Here are some shots from there included in this photo gallery.
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/83999/index.html
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

If I were to go to Cesky Krumlov between March 15 and March 31, how long should I stay there? A couple of hours to see everything? Spend the night there? Spend two nights there?

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:42 PM

In addition to the castle and the scenic town, there are various museums to be visited. Check out "Cesky Krumlov museums (galleries, etc.)for things of interest to you. I would suggest one overnight.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 11:53 PM

Last sunday, I spent about 5 hours in Cesky Krumlov, that was enough to walk through the castle ground, inner town and cross bridges to other area, plus time for lundh.

There are some music programmes now for evening entertainment, but not a lot. I don't really think it would be very interesting to stay C.K.in the off season. I styed at Ceske Budejovice (about 45 minutes frequent bus ride), as it has a far more lively old town centre with 4 theatres.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 04:54 AM

I have visited Cesky Krumlov dozens of times. It is the most beatiful town in the Czech Republik for me. This town you can visit any time. Stroll is very charming in mysterious streets loop the town on river Vltava.