Outside of Prague Destinations

Mar 13th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Outside of Prague Destinations

Planning on going to Prague in October - can anyone recommend a day trip? Would four days in Prague be enough? Any info would be great. Thanks.
Mar 13th, 2009, 10:33 AM

Kutna Hora and the Bone Church in Sedlec (Sedlec Ossuary) are an easy one hour drive from Prague. There are also a number of castles you could visit easily as a day trip. Czech out my trip report. The first five nights are spent in Prague. If the weather is good have dinner (or at least a good glass of dark Urquell) at the Bellavista with a spectacular view of Prague. Another place we really liked was The Noble Club, a vinotheque located at Tržiště 371. Cool wine cellar for vino and cheese in Mala Strana.

Mar 17th, 2009, 01:01 AM

I agree about Kutna Hora,and if you are having to use public transport then it is easy to reach by train.Plzen is a industrial town 90 minutes by train from Prague and has the famous Pilsner Urquell brewery that you can tour,there is also a very fine brewein museum.if you are not into beer then maybe give Plzen a miss.I will be visiting Bensesov in May to see the Ferdinand brewery there,but nearby is Koponiste castle a former hunting lodge of Archduke Ferdinand (the guy who got shot to start the first world war).I did a tour of there a couple of years ago and it is a facinating place,still has a bear pit with real bears there.
Karlstejn castle is only 30 minute away by train and is worth a visit,nice little town.
Mar 17th, 2009, 02:45 AM

cesky krumlov is a great destination
beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! both in nature and in architecture

easy day trip of about 3- 3and half hours each way on a train

we caught the 623 am and came back on the 3pm train but we couldve chosen to get back on the 5pm train ( we were staying in prague)

plenty of hostels and other nice accommodation in this quaint little town
a must see!
Mar 17th, 2009, 06:27 AM

If you go to Cesky Krumlov, I suggest you spend the night there to truly enjoy the experience. CK is great!

Mar 17th, 2009, 05:57 PM

Dresden, Germany can also be done as a day trip from Prague if you want to venture out of the Czech Republic. Crossing the border will not present any problems or delays-in fact, you won't even notice that you've crossed a border! Dresden is certainly worth more than just a quick day trip, but at least you'd get a very quick overview of this beautiful city.

For me, 4 days in Prague is definitely not enough time!

ENJOY!
Mar 20th, 2009, 11:31 AM

Yes, Kutna Hora is not to be missed! And Karlstejn castle is so beautiful, its worth seeing. My husband and I did both of these day trips with a private guide, Jay Pesta ([email protected]) who is recommended by the editor of Fodor´s. It was so much easier, and totally stress free. Not only that, we got discount coupons and tons of information about the towns and their history. Check out his website, and have a great trip!!
Mar 21st, 2009, 03:06 PM

Cesky Krumlov is worth an overnight as is Telc (telch) a story book square straight from a movie set.

To the west of Prague is Lidice, which has a museum and grounds dedicated to the children and men killed by the Nazis after one of the townsfolk killed the governor. The town was razed and the women and some of the children were taked to "re-education camps". Not the usual tourist site as it is a very somber place, but worth the visit.
Mar 23rd, 2009, 10:15 AM

Another vote for Cesky Krumlov (and for an overnight stay).
Mar 23rd, 2009, 10:39 AM

Four days in Prague is perfect. However, my favourite trips include Cesky Krumlov (overnight only), Telc (overnight only), Zvikov Castle, Pernstejn Castle and Kutna Hora. The Cesky Raj region north of Prague is very pretty but again, overnight only. Lidice is interesting, too.
Mar 25th, 2009, 10:30 AM

No one has mentioned the amazing Adrsbach rock city. There are two rock cities next to each other, neither requiring technical skills. Have a look at http://www.jeremytaylor.eu/adrspach_...e_skaly_1.html if you want to see more.