Central London - recommendations for 4-5 star hotel

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:58 AM
Fil
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Central London - recommendations for 4-5 star hotel

Please help Me.
I would like suggestions for a central hotel in London - (value for money)- 4 or 5 stars.
We intend stay 4 nights in the end of May - me & my husband. We like to walk, and also stay near underground and bus (so we can easy visit a lot of places). Tks
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:09 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Well - nearly every London hotel except maybe the Conrad is near bus stops and the tube.

And what does "value for money" mean? Give us a number. It won't help if we recommend some wonderful 5 star properties and then find out your budget is £150 a night.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:43 AM

Exactly - what is your budget?

I know that some people have been getting very good prices on some 4* hotels through Priceline in London (but think they may be marginal or British style 4* vs American 4*).

Also - don;t know what you men by value - if it's the best hotel in town it may be a great value at $800 per night.

I think you need to clarify.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:45 AM
P_M

Using Priceline I got the 4* Thistle Marble Arch for $60/night plus taxes/fees. I was very pleased.
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:51 AM
Fil
Original Poster

1) I need to choose a hotel
2) my budget is around 150£ (per room/ per night)...but I donīt mind to stay in a cheaper Hotel (if possible)
3) any opinion about Thistle Marble Arch

Tks
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:56 AM

We just stayed at the Marriott on Duke St. It's quiet, 2 short blocks from the tube station on Oxford St.and many bus lin. Within walking distance of the Wallace collection, Burlington Arcade, Selfridegs, Hyde Park etc.
Old May 4th, 2006, 01:55 AM

I am afraid I cannot help on individual hotels, but I can say that for walking to Westminster, Whitehall, Trafalgar Square, Covent Garden, and many theatres and concert halls, you should look for a hotel on or near Trafalgar Square. That is, not Mayfair, Marble Arch, Bayswater, Bloomsbury, the City (meaning the business area), the Tower, nor over the river. To be beside a station of the District and Circle Line is an advantage, namely Westminster, Embankment, or Temple, or to be on the Strand for good bus routes.

Please write if I can help further.

Ben Haines
[email protected]
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:00 AM
P_M

I was very impressed with Thistle Marble Arch/ It was all that one would expect from a 4* hotel. My room faced a courtyard area which was a lousy view, but that's OK because it was dead quiet at night. You room will have a small fridge and coffee/tea making facilities. Also you'll get high speed internet connections.

After leaving London I went on to Portugal, then returned to London for an overnight stay before flying home. Once again I did a priceline bid and got Thistle MA again. That time I got a room facing Oxford Street. The noise was bearable, but I still recommend asking for a quieter room.

As for the area, it is very nice with many good restaurants and cafes. It's about a block away from Speaker's Corner at Hyde Park. The Marble Arch tube is closeby as well as many bus lines.
Old May 4th, 2006, 09:12 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - you have sort of champagne taste and beer budget. £150 won't get a 5 star hotel in London - in fact twice that won't get you in most 5 star properties. Some 4 stars will have standard rooms in that range. But there sometimes are great deals on hotel websites.

But if you are looking for a posh-ish hotel for under £150, priceline will be your best bet.