CDG to Paris transportation

Jan 27th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

CDG to Paris transportation

Hi and thanks as this is my first post. I have been to Paris several times in the past and know about the RER and metro to get into central Paris. However, NOW, I am traveling with two young kids, ages 10 and 13. We will have moderate baggage since we are staying for 8 days. What other safe options are there to get to the hotel? Just looking for other ways aside from making the kids lug everything on crowded trains. Thanks.
Jan 27th, 2014, 11:57 AM

Welcome to Fodor's!

For us, we always take a taxi. After a long flight, I am not into hassling to get to the hotel. I just want to get there. Fare is about 55€.

Jan 27th, 2014, 11:59 AM

I use taxis, from 50€ to 55€.
Jan 27th, 2014, 11:59 AM

FYI, my fare last year was to Montparnasse, so it could be a little different depending on where you stay.

Jan 27th, 2014, 12:02 PM

At what time are you heading into the city? If the crowd is the only issue with train, trains are not always crowded outside peak weekday hours.
Jan 27th, 2014, 12:28 PM

For heavens sake, take a taxi. With two kids and luggage, and stairs and turnstiles and walking once you get to wherever. What's wrong with this picture!! it will be about 50E. Go to the taxi queue and get a cab.
Have your hotel address on a piece of paper--even a little map wouldn't be bad to print out.
Jan 27th, 2014, 12:54 PM

Depending on where you are going you could also take the airfrance bus

http://www.lescarsairfrance.com/en/r...uttle-bus.html

What is fun is that they come into the city by Montmartre and you get to see a bit of the city while you are traveling. But it isn't a great option unless you are staying near one of the stops or are willing to take a cab once you you get to the gare. Otherwise, a taxi from CDG is probably the most straighforward.
Jan 27th, 2014, 01:04 PM

I like the AF bus, also, but I stay near one of its stops often -- and I'm alone. For several people, the AF bus does start adding up. FOr one adult, a youth and a child, it will cost about 38 euro. Now if I were staying within walking distance of a stop, I'd still do that rather than a taxi in this case.

The only option not mentioned is a group shuttle bus or a private car, of course, but there isn't any advantage to a private car over a taxi unless you got a real low quote, which you won't. I wouldn't fool with a group shuttle van myself in this case.
Jan 27th, 2014, 01:25 PM

Group shuttle didn't work for me..1 hour wait, then 4 pickups then off to gay paree..my time is worth more than any saving and i was exhausted.. Take a cab!! 8 days and "moderate " luggage?? What ever happened to the good advise, frequently given, re: carry ons only?? It can easily be done!!
Jan 27th, 2014, 02:18 PM

Agree that taxi is the way to go unless you are on a superstrict budget. After an overnight flight I would never do anything else -esp with kids.
Jan 27th, 2014, 03:27 PM

You will no doubt receive all sort of remonstration about RER, shuttle, shared shuttle, AF or other bus and everything short of hitchhiking. Ignore it all, as it is likely pontificating and not responding to your specific and well described situation. With three people the additional cost - if any - of a taxi is small and well worth the convenience.

Just take a taxi. After you clear immigration and customs you enter the arrivals hall. Walk to the exit, find the curbside taxi rank and get in line. That simple. It can help to have written down the address of your hotel to give to the driver.
Jan 27th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your rapid and quick replies. We will arrive at CDG at 830 am on a Friday. I am not so heavily budgeted so I agree that a taxi will be the way to go. We are staying on the Seine near Ile de la Cite but I will check the Air France link (thanks for sending it). I didn't mean to suggest we were bringing the house re: luggage but I don't see the kids doing well with luggage, with turnstiles and their first experience with jet lag. Thanks so much you've all been great. F
Jan 27th, 2014, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Just checked. The distance from Gare de Lyon to our area is at least 1 1/2 miles so taxi DOES look like the best option. F
Feb 1st, 2014, 06:40 PM

Kids 10 and 13 years old are certainly capable of handling their own baggage. Pack right, and anyone can travel with a 21" rolling bag indefinitely.

I'd be taking the train into the Gard du Nord from CDG.
Feb 1st, 2014, 06:42 PM

Still say take a cab and eliminate stress, curb impatience and start your trip on a relaxed note!!!
Feb 1st, 2014, 06:52 PM

Going into the Metro at that time of day with kids and luggage would be my idea of a traveller's nightmare. As Amer_can said above, take a taxi, and minimise your stress! Even if you sit in some traffic going into Paris, it would be better than tackling the trains on Day 1. I think there are some occasions in travelling where you take the 'de-stress' option rather than the budget option!
Feb 20th, 2014, 09:12 PM

Love love love taking trains and metro and have done so, but from CDG after transatlantic flight especially with kids I would absolutely opt for a taxi.

We're going to Paris next month and I was researching cars, shuttles, taxis as well as metro but taxi definitely looks best to me at this point.
Feb 21st, 2014, 03:25 AM

As others say, and you, take a cab. Print out a little map with the hotel address to give to the driver. And just get the taxi from the queue outside--not from anyone who may approach you.
Another reason would be that a mother travelling with two kids and luggage could be distracted and a target for a pickpocket.