CDG- ATM machines?

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 09:53 AM
TB

CDG- ATM machines?

A simple question....are there ATM's at CDG or should I get some euros before I go? I will need to pay the shuttle. Anything I should know about ATMs?? Thanks

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Jeff

It's your call. Yes there are ATM's at CDG and yes you will do far better using ATM's than if you get currency in advance. You will lose close to 5% by getting Euros in advance.

But there are people who believe that is a small price to pay for peach of mind and convenience. Personally, and this is my opinion, I don't necessarily buy the convenience bit as ATM's are plentiful and easy to use. But I can't answer for anybody else's peace of mind.

Whatever you do, don't worry about it one way or the other.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Jeff

Mea culpa...it is, of course, peace of mind not pech of mind.....

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 10:05 AM
richardab

Her is my advise...

Don't count on the ATM at CDG on arrival. Bri ng enough Euros to get you thru your first day. Last week when I went thru CDG I noticed that the one ATM I saw had a line about a mile long at it. On one of my previous trips it refused my card.

Play it safe!

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 10:20 AM
amy

There was a thread on this just a day ago--sorry you missed it.

Go to your American Express office (especially if you have an AmEx card and get enough Euros for the cab ride into town and one meal (lunch/breakfast). This way, if there's a line a zillion people long at the CDG ATM, you're "cab ready" or "shuttle ready."

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 10:55 AM
elvira

When I fly from Phoenix to Florida, I carry about $100 cash with me, 'cause even though I've got family and friends in Florida, if the ATMs are off-line at the airport, I'm stuck - no coffee, no soda, no gum. If I have to take a cab, I'm really screwed.

If I'm going to fly another 3000 miles further from home, I sure as heck am not going to depend on an ATM to provide enough money to get me out of the airport. I take about $150 worth of the currency of the country where I land; if the ATMs are off-line, I have enough money to get me to my hotel, pay one night's lodging and get something to eat.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 11:38 AM
amy

TB: What Elvira is saying is precisely the brilliant point that another poster (Greg?) brought up a couple of weeks ago. Yes, ATMs are many and are reliable in Europe; no, they are not without the same problems as you might find in the US. How many times have we encountered a line, a bad area, or an out-of-service sign in the US? Translate that to Europe and it's basically the same.

For that reason, our family travels with the small number of Euros I indicated in the previous post (but no more than that!), about $400 US between us as backup (which we have yet to use), two different ATM cards, and at least two different credit cards.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 12:26 PM
kay

An alternative to purchasing Euro notes in the US is to buy them with cash dollars at the Bureau de Change in CDG if the ATM fails you. The exchange rate there (though not as good as the ATM rate) will probably be better than you would get in the US.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 02:10 PM
GGinSF

When I was at CDG last December there was a big line at the only ATM. My spirits rose as the line disappeared as I approached. Unfortunately it was because the machine just broke and was now out of order. I had brought some US$ just in case and cashed a small amount at the exchange bank window. High fees but at least I was able to get Francs (now it's Euros, of course).

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 02:11 PM
what

We got $100 worth of Euros from our bank (Chase) today, with the exchange rate of 1.04. We called our bank and our branch had the money by the next day (no fee).

The difference in exchange rate in America to in France for that sum of money will only end up being probably less than $5. I figure we'll be jet lagged when we land and won't want to have to worry about exchanging money or finding an ATM.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 04:48 PM
TB

Thankyou to everyone. Great advise and I'm glad I asked. TB

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 07:58 PM
richardab

so what are you going to do?

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 08:27 PM
StCirq

You may want to rely on the ATMs at CDG airport (I never do). I always arrive with at least as many euros as I need to take a taxi to the train station where I take a train to the Dordogne. In my experience, the ATM machines at CDG may be out of service or have long lines, and I don't want to deal with that. I want to be prepared to take off on my journey without any stops at machines that may or may not be working.Sure it's cool to be a *global* traveler who doesn't stop to change currency, but I find I'm much happier going directly from the baggage claim to the taxi line withe my currency already in pocket.