auto europe safe?

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 05:32 AM
pam

auto europe safe?

After reading recently on this board that auto europe's website was infected with a virus, I need to know if it is safe now. I need to make car rental reservations, and while I checked their prices about a month ago, I didn't reserve because there drop-off fee (picking up in France, dropping off in Italy) was too high.
Hertz actually had a cheaper drop-off fee, but I want to re-check Auto Europe before I book.
Pam

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 05:52 AM
StCirq

If you're worried about dealing with their website, call them at 1-800-223-5555. It's always better, IMO, to talk to a live human being anyway.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 09:35 AM
John

Don't understand! How can your computer get a virus by just visiting a web site? Please explain this. I don't know that much about computers. I did go to Auto Europe's web page and I am now concerned. Thank you!!

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 08:47 PM
Bill Fleites

John, no need to panic. The entry of viruses into your system occurs when you run an infected executable file on your computer that you either downloaded from a website or got as an attachement to an email message.
I also recently received emails with attachements from AutoEurope and my virus protection software did not detect a virus from them. You can download a tool from Symantec to check for this particular virus at:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 09:57 PM
x

Auto europe safe? are you kidding? are you familiar with the products they rent? have you ever seen what happens when two of them run into each other?