Budget for attractions

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 09:38 AM
Maria

Budget for attractions

I am planning a trip to Italy with my husband this summer. We will be spending 5 days in Rome, 4 days in Florence and 3 days in Venice. We have figured out our budget for hotels and restaurants, but I would like some advice on a reasonable budget for visiting museums/galleries/ect. in these cities. We are planning on visiting the main tourist attractions and museums (I can't name them all specifically). Any advice on a ballpark budget for my trip? Thank you.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 09:54 AM
elaine

Maria
Are you from the US? There are variations, but I can't recall a museum in Italy that ever cost me much more than the equivalent of US$10 or so. I remember thinking that the Borghese was a little pricey, but that may have included my reservation fee and commission. (But I wouldn't have missed it for the world.) Some museums are much less. There are often separate extra charges for guided tours, or for acoustiguides, but these can be incredibly helpful in helping you learn about a place. In Venice you can buy a "combo" ticket for the Doge's Palace and Correr Museum if you can go to both on the same day. That ticket won't include the Secret Itinerary of the Doge's Palace, if you're planning on doing that, it's extra. There are also two charges within San Marco Basilica if you go; one to see the Pala d'Oro
(bejeweled altar piece) and another small fee (~$2-3?) to go up to the Loggia where you can step outside and get a marvelous view of the Piazza.
This is an all-round great website for Venice info and they may have fees listed, I can't recall:
www.aguestinvenice.com
I understand your budget concerns, but if you can consider for Rome doing a walking tour from Scalareale.org (I LOVE them)
or enjoyrome, the less-expensive of the two. It's a little extra cost that can be worth it because otherwise stumbling around a place like the Roman Forum could make you think it's just a pile of anonymous rocks. However,the Colosseum for one place also has acoustiguides for rent if you don't want a tour.
Churches don't generally charge admission, but a donation is appreciated. Many churches also have light meters that require coins in order to illuminate the art works.

I think a general guidebook (and I will put in a plug for the Fodors guides for Rome and for Venice) will have info on admission fees, and sometimes even recommended budgets. The Frommers and the Rick Steves and the Lonely Planet books, which I personally don't like as well, do have many budget-minded suggestions.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 09:59 AM
elvira

I always figure about $8-9 (some may be a bit more, some may be a bit less) per big museum and tourist attraction. Churches are usually free, or have small fees for visiting collections; put money in the poor box anyway so figure $2. Unless you have a giant brain and all the nerves have been severed in your feet, one big museum a day is enough.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 07:00 PM
Rex

<<Unless you have a giant brain and all the nerves have been severed in your feet, one big museum a day is enough.>>

What a priceless line.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 10:19 PM
Mark Shuttleworth

It all depends on the terms of your tour. I haven't had to spend any money out of pocket to see the places we fly over. Of course, we never really stop. When they told me "you'll see the Alps", I didn't realize it was only for 97 seconds every hour or two!

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 10:27 PM
Wayne

Getting to the bottom line, a good ballpark number for your trip would be $100 for each of you. Not knowing what you might want to see, where you might want to go, etc., this would probably cover all the bases nicely.