ATM in CDG?

Old Sep 21st, 2006, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATM in CDG?

We're flying Northwest Airlines and from the airport website it looks like we'll be arriving in Terminal 2F. My plan for getting cash is to use our ATM card. I'd like to get money ASAP so the airport is an ideal place. However, we tried that last year in Costa Rica and the airport ATM wouldn't let you withdraw that much cash. I think we got something equivalent to 20 USD. That doesn't go far.

Are there ATMs at the CDG airport that allow you to withdraw a reasonable amount? Is the ATM symbol the same? I was looking at the map of the terminal, but couldn't find one. Would it be better to exchange money before we even leave?

Thanks for your help!!!!
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 09:18 AM

There are ATMs in each terminal at CDG, and in some there are also banks.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 09:20 AM

If you check the aeroportsdeparis site, you'll see that there are lots of ATM's http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/Adp/e...tsParisCDG.htm

Most other postings on this subject indicate that you are better to wait till you get here and use the ATM
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 09:32 AM

I think ATMs are pretty obvious at to what they are, but they won't have a sign saying "ATM" on them, as that is an acronym for English words.

They usually have a couple names in French, like distributeur automatique de billets is commonly used (or maybe guichet automatique de banque). I think you'll be able to spot them from people standing at them taking out money. They are often right next to or near the manned Amex exchange bureaux. I think the symbol for them on those maps is something like a hand sticking out a card.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

carlux - Do you mean it is better to wait until you are actually in the city rather than the airport?
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 09:41 AM

I believe the "get there" refers to being in France and withdrawing euros there, as opposed to buying euros back at home.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 10:36 AM

If you arrive at CDG without Euros, by all means get some there. You'll need them to get into Paris one way or another.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 11:58 AM

You can get from CDG to Paris without euros. The RER ticket vendor accepts credit cards.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 02:46 PM

Michael says, "You can get from CDG to Paris without euros. The RER ticket vendor accepts credit cards."

But that is misleading. Most US credit cards do not work in RER (and SNCF for that matter) vending machines, but they are accepted at the windows in the ticket office.

This caused me some panic first time it happened! And to be in a country without any local currency? I think not, thank you. There are lots of ATMs at CDG.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 02:54 PM
sandi

If there is an eatery, there is usually an ATM close by. And usually right near an ATM is a currency exchange window. Either, will provide sufficient funds to get you through till you're in the city.

Thereafter, use ATMs for spending funds, but check with your bank at home what fees they assess on ATM withdrawals. The ATMs in France don't charge a fee, but your home bank may. If the fees are high, find out what your daily allowance is and ask for an increase so you don't have to hit the ATM daily. But even with an increased daily limit the particular ATM may have a limit.

Just be prepared for all possibilities and know whatever you need to before leaving home.