Airside ATMs at CDG

Old Sep 20th, 2007, 05:58 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airside ATMs at CDG

I will be flying Air France in a couple of months and I will have 4.5 hours at CDG each way. I would like to snag some €s so I can browse around in the stores and hopefully find a good meal. (food recommendations?) My bank has a partnership w/BNP Paribas so I am hoping to find one of those machines without leaving the secured area. If not, than any ATM will do as long as I can stay airside. If there aren't any ATMs airside, my plan B will be plastic money. Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 05:34 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Hey--where is everybody?? quot;>
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 10:58 PM

P_M,

Go to easycdg.com/pages/indexpag.html
Click on Airport Guide
There you will see a link for 'airport maps'
Just pull up the map for the temnial you are landing at, and if I am not wrong, the symbol of a hand holding a atm/credit card is where you will find an ATM.

I hope this helps.

Tom
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 05:30 AM

If you find a good meal at CDG, please post where you found it.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 08:59 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Thanks Tom, I'll bookmark this link.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 12:03 PM
yk

Hi P_M-

I guess you're a BoA customer? I'll be at CDG next month and have a 4-hr layover (but I'll be in landside as I'm connecting from AA to SNCF). I'll try to keep my eyes open for you for a BNP ATM. Fortunately I have some leftover € so I'll be ok even if I don't find one.

Right now, my plan is to eat at Brasserie Flo at CDG 2F (it's landside).
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 12:25 PM
P_M
Original Poster

You're so right yk, I am a BofA customer. Thanks for keeping an eye out for BNP, I'll look forward to hearing from you when you get back. I would also like to hear your review on Brasserie Flo and whether or not I should go landside. If it's anything like a typical meal in Paris, it will be worth the hassle.

Thanks.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 05:17 PM
yk

Hi P_M-

I'm back from my trip. I did not see any airside ATMs (though I didn't try to hard to look). On landside, there are plenty of ATMs, but they're all HSBC.

We ate at Brasserie Flo for lunch (Terminal 2F). Food was pretty good but pricey. For lunch, they have a 2-course menu for €22,90 and 3-course menu for €29,90. One can also order a la carte but that's even more expensive.

Just FYI, the line to get thru security at Terminal 2A (on our return) took 45 minutes. Don't konw which terminal you'll be. I guess the lines at the newer terminals are shorter.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 05:26 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Thanks yk, you are very helpful indeed. The last time I was at CDG it took about 45 minutes to get through security, so if that's the norm I will probably stay airside.

According to AF's web page I will be at Terminal 2E, so if no ATMs are to be found I will use my credit cards. Thanks a mil for doing me this favor, I hope some day I can help you.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 07:01 PM

yk - I guess you guys used the passport control and security between the AA and CO check-in counters, right?

Last time at CDG, I found that the set over at the west end of 2A may have shorter lines. I spent about 10 minutes in line using the one between AA and CO, but there was no line at all at the other set.

Forgot to mention that to you.
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:18 AM

Keep in mind that just because AF says your flight will arrive at 2E, doesn't mean your flight will actually arrive at 2E Don't be surprised if your flight arrives at A, B, C or the non-Schengen part of F and you have to transfer to 2E in which case, you might want to just go landside. With 4.5 hours you should have plenty of time even with passport control and security.
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 12:37 PM

I must say I have never spotted ATMs on the airside there. Having said that, there are rather limited shopping/dining options while on airside (cafes/sandwiches, though PAUL pastry is very good). Brasserie Flo is on the landside. With 4.5hrs, no reason why you should stay on airside.

Also you can use C/C as well as debit card (just make sure you have the 4digit PIN), so really there aren't no reason having to get Euros.
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 06:16 PM
yk

You're welcome, P_M. BTW, we originally had a 4-hr layover at CDG, but our plane arrived almost an hour late, so it ended up being just 3 hours or so. That was plenty of time for us.

We did not have checked luggage, so we were in landside pretty quickly (but there was a line to get thru immigration - maybe 15-20mins?)

We actually decided to walk from 2A to the train station (which is almost to 2E/F) after sitting on the plane for 10+ hrs. We had to exchange our AA flight coupons for TGV tickets, and that took another 15 mins or so.

Even with all that, we had plenty of time for lunch at Brasserie Flo. After lunch, we had another 45 minutes to kill before our TGV train departs.

So, like others say, I think you'll have enough time to go landside if you want to.
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 07:14 PM

P_M I do not ever recall seeing an ATM air side at CDG, but can't say that I ever really looked, either. You should be fine with your CC, and even a debit card may work is it has a Visa or MC logo on it (mine has in the duty free shops at CDG). For what it's worth, there typically aren't many bargains at the CDG shops, anyway.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 09:27 AM

You can probably use american dollars in CDG. I've always found the shops and restaurants in large ariports have the ability to accept several major currencies. For example, when leaving Spain several years ago, I wanted to use up all my pesetas but the olive oil cost a bit more than I had. Easy: give up all my pesetas and pay the balance in dollars.

I'm not suggesting that it's smart to offer to pay with dollars outside the US, but it can usually be done in airports (at an exchange rate very favorable to the merchant, of course). Also, expect to receive change in the local currency, regardless of the currency used for payment.
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 03:48 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Hi everyone, thanks again for all of the replies. OK, here's my plan of action:

Plan A: Find an ATM (if possible) and get a few €s.

Plan B: If there are no ATMs airside, and if I decide not to go landside, then I will use a credit or debit card. Of course, if I land at a different terminal I might have to go landside whether I like it or not. But at least then I'll find ATMs.

Plan C: Ask about the rate for paying in USD. It's probably not as good as using credit cards, but worth asking anyway.

And if I do go landside, I'll look around for shorter lines at security, as rkkwan suggested.

Thanks again!!
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 06:30 PM

If you land in a different part of terminal 2, you can still choose to stay airside by taking the shuttle (as opposed to walking landside). Staying airside at CDG means no passport control, but it doesn't mean no security, so the difference is 2 passport control points (one to enter/one to exit Schengen) if you choose to go landside. If you opt for the shuttle route, know your connecting gate so you can get off at the right stop. The first stop is for the S3 satellite gates (E51-76) and the second one is for the rest (E80-97). And if your connection departs from E80-87, you'll actually have to get on another shuttle to satellite H after you get off at the second stop. Currently E is divided into 3 completely separate boarding areas.