Search

CDG Airport transfer options with a baby

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDG Airport transfer options with a baby

Hello all,

My husband and I are going to Paris with our 15-month baby. This will be my third trip to Paris, but DH's first. We are staying in an apartment on rue de Clichy.

Our flight arrives at Roissy early in the morning, but by the time we get out of the airport, it will probably be around 8:30. I am wondering what the best options will be considering - a) the baby b) lots of luggage c) 8:30 am is probably rush hour d)tight-ish budget e) lack of a car seat

As I see it, our options are:

1. Take a cab from the airport. Concerns are rush hour traffic and $$$.

2. We could take either the Roissybus or AF bus (about 12 Euros each), but then we would have to take a cab ($$) from Opera or Arc de Triomphe to Place de Clichy.

3. We can brave the Paris RER in rush hour with loads of luggage and a baby and very limited French. Also, again, we would have to take a cab from Gare du Nord.

Any comments on any of the above three options? All insights will be most appreciated!

Has anyone tried any of the airport shuttles? We are okay with paying 20 Euros pp, but have heard conflicting reviews - some horror stories about people being stuck with no-show prepaid shuttles. Any recommendations? How about the fact that we have a baby with us - some sites say they provide car seats, and some say you don't need one...

Also, our flight out of Paris is at 9am, we will probably definitely take a cab to the airport (since it won't be rush hour). Two questions:

1. Do we have to arrange a taxi from before to pick us up (probably around 5:30 or 6 am)? Who do we call for this (can we get a list from the Yellow pages like we do in the US?) Can we easily get a taxi at Place de Clichy at that hour?

2. Do we have to worry about having a car seat for a taxi ride in Paris? (There are even some conflicting information about needing one here in the US!)

Thanks a lot for reading my long list of questions - and I would really appreciate all insights!

Thanks,
DesG
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 10:09 AM

With a baby, lots of luggage, and rush hour, do yourself a favor and take a cab. No need to arrange one in advance. Just get in line at the curb. (Do not accept a taxi from someone inside the terminal -- they are not licensed.)

Woody
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 11:52 AM

I wouldn't care what it cost, I would take a taxi in your case -- a baby and a bunch of luggage and you aren't going near a regular bus stop! Do you think it's going to be that expensive when you are basically splitting the cost over three people? I don't consider that a lot of money for transportation into a city myself per person. I always take taxis in Paris from the airport, though, I just don't have any patience for the other stuff and don't want to economize on that as it means a lot to me to start the trip relaxed and unfrazzled.

I'm not clear where you apt. is, though, but somehwere in the 9th arrondisement, I guess between Trinite and Clichy metro stops. I took a cab once from CDG to that approximate area and it was the cheapest I've ever spent on a cab into Paris, because it's a lot closer than when you have to go to the Left Bank or other places. I think it was only 35 euro and this wasn't that long ago (although I don't recall any major traffic problem). I'd take a taxi. I don't think the AF bus will even be that much cheaper, will it.

Can't recommend shuttles as I haven't done them, but others have and can say what they'd do.

Anyway, if you really want to do some kind of bus, etc. I think I'd take the RER to Gare du Nord and taxi from there, which isn't that far from rue de Clichy, or from the Opera would be okay, also. They are probably about the same distance. I think the Roissybus is cheaper than AF, which as I said, I don't think is going to save you much.

YOu definitely have to arrange in advance for a taxi to leave. I wouldn't just leave that to chance, especially at that hour. There are a couple major companies you can call, and they'll be in the phonebook -- G7 is a good one. They have an English-speaking phone line. Taxis Bleus is another one, although I think I usually get G7.

Taxi G7
http://www.taxisg7.fr/
tel. 01.41.27.66.99 English
tel. 01.41.27.66.66 Airport transport

Taxi Bleus 01.49.36.10.10 English
http://www.taxis-bleus.com/
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 11:56 AM

I think you have three good options from CDG to your apartment.

Option 1 - Taxi
Option 2 - Taxi
Option 3 - Taxi
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 11:59 AM

Been there, done that. You'll be a wreck when you get to that apartment if you don't take a cab.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 03:02 PM

The taxi option for you makes all the sense in the world and because rue de Clichy is closer to the airport than most places you could choose, it won't be all that bad; 40 Euros or less total would be my guess. Cab drivers are pretty good at getting through the clutter of traffic so save yourself some hassle and do it right.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 03:20 PM

Beware! All airlines ATTEMPT to oversell their flights. If they succeed, there will be "passengers with reservations and seat assignments" fighting to get on board. Unless you know for sure ahead of time that your flight is NOT oversold, then I strongly suggest you arrive at CDG 3 hours ahead of your scheduled take off. I know that will not be easy with the baby, but it won't be fun at all if you get bumped from the flight!
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Taxi it is then!

Do you know if car seats are required in taxis in Paris? We are not planning to carry one with us - I would hate to have to carry one with us just for the cab rides!

Thanks a lot again!
DG