Notices

CDG Airport

Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDG Airport

Anyone out there familiar with CDG Airport? I have a flight getting in to 2C and then leaving an hour later from 2D. I'm a little worried that I won't make my connecting flight, especially knowing what a nightmare CDG can be. My question is this - Is there any easy way to get from 2C to 2D or do I have to take a shuttle bus all over the airport?
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 07:51 AM

Yes there is a pedestrian way from 2C to 2D, but you need to know where to look.
If you can find a map of CDG, T2, on Internet take a look at it. I have one in GIF form I can email to you as an attachment if you want it.
Contact me directly, [email protected]
(I never have posted an alias, and not having a true email address is a bother at times.)
I am concerned that you will have enough time to make your connection, particularly if you are arriving on an international flight. You have no control over the line of people at passport control, and if several flights arrive at nearly the same time, there can be a considerable crowd trying to go through.

The four contiguous terminals at CDG 2 are A C
B D
The curve of the 4 terminal "pods" makes them look like a lazy figure 8. The passage way from C to D, C, and A is at the end of C in the opposite direction from the TGV station.
For D, you must go downstairs, and then walk through a small shopping area and go upstairs to D. If you are able to walk swiftly, you can grab your bag from baggage claim, walk through customs (which is usually minimal unless the French are looking for something) and head for the stairs. You can just about make the walk more quickly than you can wait for the bus which takes a circuitous route at a dawdling pace.

Good luck on this. I hope whereever you are going is a popular place and has several flights.

Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bob for all the info. We are arriving on Air France and connecting on Air France to Rome. I've been to CDG before, but only once and am not familiar with it. All I remember is what an adventure it is trying to get through this maze of an airport. Having a walkway will make it a lot easier, I think.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 08:43 AM

Dali,

I do not know where you are coming from, but it has been my experience that the overnight flights from the U.S. generally arrive on-time or early, while the internal (EU) flights are almost invariably delayed.

Also, I have found Air France to be very accomodating when it comes to making connections.

Good luck.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 10:25 AM

As I recall, there was a branch of La Brioche Doree, the pastry, sandwich, and coffee/coke place near the passage way.
The passage to the the two pods on the other side, so to speak, is down the stairs near the cafe.
There are a few shops down the stairs, so you have to go through that area.

I hope La Briochee Doree is still there where it was.

I don't know what there is about CDG,
both T1 and T2, but I find them to be
like a jigsaw puzzle. The design of the whole place defies logic, and the layout at times is baffling. I have been through T2 several times, and T1 twice, and I hope to never go there again!

That statement is a little of an contradiction because I would like to visit Paris again, someday before I get too old to enjoy it.

Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 01:38 PM

I like this site for the terminal maps of CDG:

www.adp.fr

Click on welcome to use English. Then click on Roissy CDG near the upper right corner. From there you can get to the terminal maps.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 09:03 PM

Because I usually find cheaper flights booking through Paris, I have had to go through there my last four trips in 16 months. Depending on your final destination, you may be able to check you luggage through, so you won't have to worry about that part.

Bob has given good advice. I usually take the bus, but last time one of the airport personnel told me walking would be faster, and he was right. The passageway is tricky to find, but once you do, just follow the signs
I will say that there have always been plenty of personnel on hand to answer questions and point you in the right direction. That is the ONLY good thing I can say about CDG.

On a recent flight, it took me 55 minutes to disembark, get through passport patrol and arrive at the next terminal. In the October after Sept. 11, 2001, it took 1 hour and 20 minutes.

Good luck.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 09:41 PM

I just don't think you'll have enough time. With all the enhanced security, etc. count on about 90 minutes to make your connection.

Santa Chiara says one time took 55 minutes - I would think that is an absolute minimum with everything working like clock work. Can you possibly get an earlier flight?