carrigeen castle, cahir, ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2003, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone stayed at carrigeen castle, in cahir...would cashel be a better place to stay...traveling from kinsale to kilkenny...want to visit rock of cashel
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 01:12 PM

chip,<BR><BR>I don't believe you could go wrong staying in either Cahir or Cashel. They are within easy driving distance to each other and while the Rock of Cashel is amazing, don't pass on exploring Cahir Castle in Cahir as well.<BR><BR>Cahir Castle is one of the few castles that weren't improved over the years into more of a manor home and yet isn't really in a ruined state either.<BR><BR>It was a lot of fun climbing up narrow rock staircases and walking around on the outer walls. Being from the US, it was different, being at a place like this, without all the rails and barricades to keep us all 100% safe. It seemed like the most authentic castle we visited, or most unchanged.<BR><BR>From what I've read, I'm under the impression that Carrigeen isn't an actual castle, but still may be of interest to you. I can't help there but if you decide to stay in Cashel and would like a great view of the Rock at night, check out Legends. They were very nice and you can't beat a full picture window view of the Rock at night from your room.<BR><BR>http://www.tipp.ie/legends.htm
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 01:20 PM

Woops, grabbed the wrong URL off the search engine. This one is their own site.<BR><BR>http://www.legendsguesthouse.com/<BR><BR>That view of the corner of their building and the Rock behind isn't a touched up photo (something we've experienced before on B&amp;B/hotel websites)
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 02:21 PM
sss

For a very comprehensive discussion of many different people who have stayed at Carrigen Castel I suggest the following forum: http://www.irelandyes.com/forum.html
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 11:09 AM

I've stayed at Carrigeen Castle twice and enjoyed it both times. From my experiences I can assure you its clean and comfortable, has a very castle-like exterior, is inexpensive, and a good location. I know the owner is a character...and some people have not gotten along with her...she's a bit rigid - she'll suggest what time you might want to eat breakfast, you can only arrive at specific times (I think from 3 to 6pm). And she watches kids like a hawk - doesn't want them to touch her things. Since I don't have kids with me, and I'm pretty flexible and can adapt to her ways, I've thoroughly enjoyed my stays there!