Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Fly from Avignon or TGV from Avignon to CDG?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2003, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,<BR><BR>My husband and I are spending 2 weeks in France in May: the first week in Paris and the second in Provence. We are going to take the TGV from Paris to Avignon and pick up a car for the week. The day we fly home out of CDG, we are trying to decide if we should take the TGV back to CDG to catch our flight, or if we should fly on Air France from Avignon or Marseille to CDG to make our connection. Both options (TGV or flight) are about the same price. <BR><BR>Any thoughts?<BR><BR>Thank you!
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 06:52 AM

Peesh,<BR><BR>The TGV wins easily!<BR><BR>There are no flights from Avignon to CDG - only to Orly, so that makes no sense. And why trek to Marseille if you can take the train right at your doorstep?<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Andre
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Andre,<BR><BR>Ah, you are right!! I have been looking at so many options, I overlooked the fact that the flight from Avignon to Paris, was to Orly and not CDG!!! <BR><BR>Thank you for your comments.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 07:37 AM

Peesh,<BR><BR>You're welcome!<BR><BR>BTW, if your airline doesn't throw in the TGV tix for free, you should book them at:<BR>www.sncf.com<BR><BR>Tickets are available for sale 60 days in advance. Book early (at least 1 month ahead) to get a deeply discounted &quot;J30&quot; fare. Prepay and select ticket pickup in France (they won't mail to the US where I assume you live). BTW, enter &quot;Roissy (95)&quot; as destination station - don't ask why but this is the way the airport station is identified in the SNCF system...<BR><BR>You can then pick up your tickets at any train station or &quot;boutique SNCF&quot; in France when you arrive.<BR><BR>This should be a LOT cheaper than flying! The J30 fare is 35 Euros, full fare is 68.50 for the direct trains in 2nd class.<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Andre
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 07:51 AM

Oh yes, and don't forget to &quot;vailidate&quot; the tickets by inserting them in the machine just on your way to board the train.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 11:19 AM

<BR>What time is your outbound flight?<BR>Bear in mind that the earliest direct TGV leaves Avignon at 6:40 AM and reaches CDG at 10:04. If your outbound flight is before let's say 11:30, that's cutting it close.<BR>