Ballynahench Castle

Search

Ballynahench Castle

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ballynahench Castle

Has anyone out there stay at this castle? What did you think of it. 4 of us are planning on staying there in May and need other's input.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 06:52 PM

Yes, I stayed for 3 nights in 2003. It's very comfortable, very good food, lovely grounds with great walks. Views from your windows, a nice Pub with good food along with the dining room. About 3 reception rooms down stairs, one wth a computer for guest use. Very helpful and friendly staff. We didn't leave the property. It's not real fancy, just real comfortable and I'd love to go back. One of the highlights of my 8 trips to Ireland. Go and enjoy it.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 06:56 PM

I didn't mean that it's not as nice or as fancy as a Ritz-Carlton, it's better. I guess what I meant it's not Ashford Castle.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 07:01 PM

We spent an evening here with my parents in 2002 - one of the more memorable places we stayed. There isn't too much in the immediate area, but the restaurant on site is very good, and if it happens to be a wet day there (as many in Ireland tend to be) you can wait for your table in the cozy lounge area by the fireplace. I remember the bedrooms being fairly large and updated bathrooms as well. Would definitely recommend it!

Enjoy!
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 08:05 PM

Ballynahinch Castle Hotel is not really a "castle". Not all hotels that have castle in their name are real castles. For instance Bunratty Castle Hotel is not a castle. Ballynahinch is a lovely fishing lodge type manor set in beautiful surroundings but is not particularly near anything. You go there for the seclusion.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 06:59 AM

We stayed there three nights last fall and very much enjoyed it. We thought the food was terrific, both in the pub and in the formal dining room. We wandered the lovely grounds and used it as a base for day trips - one to Westport and one a little closer (Sky drive, Roundstone and Clifden).
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 08:14 AM

We ate lunch at Ballynahinch in 2001. My husband has always wanted to go back there to stay. The pictures on the wall in the eating area reminded me of a place you would expect to see Hemingway and his cronies having drinks after a grouse shoot. I assume they've updated the lounge areas. At that time they had very comfortable looking chintz in patterns I rememebered from the 80's. It all looked like a nice place to curl up with a good book while one's husband fished for trout in their stream.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 04:17 PM

Mrs. MileKing and I stayed here for one night in May 2004. As others have stated, it is a real winner. Lovely and large rooms, absolutely beautiful grounds, and fantastic service. Dinner at the restuarant (not the pub) was perhaps the finest meal we had on our two week visit to Ireland.