Search

Carnet from CDG

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2005, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carnet from CDG

I just got back. Beautiful weather, above normal temps all last week!
There IS a carnet from CDG. It costs 62.80 for 10 tickets...we had 5 of us!!
Also there are carnets available for all zones...for example zone 4 is 20.80 for 10 tickets. This can be a great savings for some doing excursions to the outskirts of Paris. And of course there is the carnet for zones 1&2 for 10.50.
We had a great time, even got bumped on our flight out of CDG and had to spend another night compliments of Air France!!!
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 06:42 AM
ira

Thanks for the info, mf.

So, how was the trip?

Old Mar 27th, 2005, 08:36 AM

That's an interesting bit of info on carnets of tickets for zones outside 2, and I can see how it could make sense in some situations like yours, or for excursions with several people, as you said.

It makes sense, as I know I've bought single tickets to go to zone 4 or wherever, so they could easily sell them in bulk groups of 10 like the interior zone ones. They probably give you about the same percentage discounts as when you buy the zone 1-2 one for 10.50.

Glad you were happy being bumped -- where did Air France put you up? When I had a flight cancelled by AA at CDG, they put me up in the CDG Hilton which was really a very nice room.
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

This was a Senior trip for my daughter and her friends. We rented an apartment at 3 Bourg-Tibourg in the Marais with Bienvenue a Paris. This place worked out great for us, great location, we saved so much on meals. We could run down to the square for bagettes and croisents. And in the evenings just open our windows and had a view of everyone dining below. I could have my glass of wine and just gaze out the window. The girls shopped til they dropped!! They liked Promode, Kanza...they seemed to find the places! Also Paris was beautifully lite up in the olympic colors for the olympic committe....the bridges, Hotel de Ville. We were walking distance to Notre Dame, Latin Quarter, George Pomidou, Place de Vogue...one of my personal favorite places. We did not over do our selves with museums, since this was holy week and crowded, but did do Rodin Museum, very nice gardens. And the Louve on a Wednesday after 6:00. Still crowded and hot and many groups! I have a friend who lives near Raincy, in the suberbs of Paris..this is where the zone 4 carnet was used. It was a Sunday, where everyone in Paris is out on the streets. It was the warmest day of the week and it was a wonderful day being outside and seeing their new baby and just getting out of crowded Paris.We sat outside and had a pear tart and coffe!
I also reccommend Cafe Very in the Tuleries Gardens...I have been there many times with my french friends. I was there the night Princess Diana died, but thats another story.
We did many of the tourist things, but with the apartment and location it was great just walking and hanging out, and checking out all the different neighborhoods.
My son is teaching in Cluses, in the Alps near Annecy. He came for the weekend and was our chef...making dishes famous in the Alps...Tartfelette, quiche, ham & cheese crepes. We had a picnic on Sat. at Trocadaro/Eiffel Tower,but it was quite crowed.
This was a great experience for these girls, whom 2 of them had never been out of the country before!
I can't wait to return. Au Revoir
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 03:03 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like a great trip, complete with your own French chef! Congratulations on getting bumped by Air France. Happened to us last month in both directions-- once we took the cash and the other time we took the vouchers. They put us up at the Ibis Roissy Ville, not nearly as nice as the Hilton that Christina got.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Yeah, we got the Ibis-Gare. That was ok,it was clean, convienent. But our biggest problem was our connection to MSP.Air France booked us w/ a 7 1/2 layover in ATLand did not tell us until I pressed for info. Then told us our luggage would not make the earlier flight!!!We found there were 3 earlier flights. I wrote a letter to customer service about this...it was like taking another bump. Our flight arrived at 1:50p and our connection was at 9:23pm!! I did liked flying AF, the service was good. But my story does not end there. We were able to standby and got on a flight at 7:30p...well we hit a bird on takeoff and it went into the engine....it smelt like something burning on the plane..scary. We turned around and headed back to ATL. There were emergency vehicles and fire trucks all over the place to meet us! Then of course our flight cancelled. So they found another plane. While servicing this one they had a fuel spill. We are on the plane at this point watching the pilot with the fire department trying to decide what to do? They had to clean up the fuel spill. We were tired warriors by the time we got home....24 hours to get home and the MOST it should take is 12!! I guess we ended up paying alot for the bump!!!