CAR RENTAL PRICING

Old May 15th, 2002, 05:27 AM
karen

CAR RENTAL PRICING

Anyone found the best company and prices for renting a car in France and Switzerland?

Also, does anyone know for a fact that it's wiser AND cheaper to make the rental arrangements in advance from the U.S.?

Thank you.

Old May 15th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Rex

There is no single best - - but www.autoeurope.com leads the list.

And my 20+ car rentals would yield a resounding "yes!" to your second question. Of course, a GOOD company like AutoEurope will make you a no-penalty non-binding reservation which you can always walk away from - - on those rare occasions that you might find an unadvertised special, written on a chalkboard at a rental counter (this has happened to me twice).

Best wishes,

Rex

Old May 15th, 2002, 06:06 AM
AutoEurop

We use AutoEurope for short term rentals but for a longer stay, consider leasing a car from Renault or doing one of the buy-back programs. Sorry, I have not done a buy-back myself and maybe someone else c an give you details.

Old May 15th, 2002, 06:25 AM
Beth

When we went to pick up our rental car in Florence a couple years ago, there was a line out the building at the Avis office. About 30% had no advance reservation and every single one was being turned away, as there were no cars available. Regardless of the price, I wouldn't leave it to the last minute. And that goes double if you want an automatic transmission!

Old May 15th, 2002, 09:51 AM
karen

Thank you everyone!