Car rental in Ireland

Old Mar 10th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car rental in Ireland

I'm not going to go into our whole story. Those of you who follow Freaky Friday Rants and Raves on the US board know our situation. But suffice it to say that, due to health circumstances, we may have to cancel our Ireland trip due to depart on March 25th.

For the most part, we've got everything covered either way. But we haven't rented a car. And, should we decide that we are going to go, that makes me a little nervous. I've read over and over that you shouldn't wait until you get there to rent the car. But how far in advance do you have to do it? Say we decide a week before departure that we are going to go, is that early enough to rent a car?

If not, what are the penalties for arranging for a rental and then cancelling?

I guess basically what I'm asking is this: should we wait until the last minute or should we rent now and then cancel if necessary?

Thanks.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 03:48 AM
CU

With all the car rental companies at the airports I see no problem at this time of year.
Hope the health circumstances improve. I know how you feel. In the same boat myself a few times.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, CU!
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 09:29 AM

I rent thru Sixt, Holiday Car Rental, and their cancellation fee is 10 euro.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 08:59 PM

I always pre-book, after shopping for the best possible rate, but in Feb of '02, I began to question all that. I had booked a 9 passenger people mover for our party of six for a rate of approx. $600. When we arrived in Shannon, the desk agent tried desperately into talking me into a newer, smaller seven passenger. When I INSISTED on the larger vehicle, I was given the keys to a Toyota van that looked for all the world as if it had just returned from a long-term lease to a touring rock band -- There wasn't a panel that wasn't scraped or dented, and two of the seatbelts (including the front seat passenger's) were either missing, or broken.
When I returned to the counter and told them that I COULDN'T and WOULDN'T take that vehicle, they re-iterated that it was the only 9 passenger that they had ...
My sister-in-law walked the line, inquiring about on the spot rates, and Budget (who had quoted me over $900, when I contacted them during planning) offered us a brand new, Mercedes Vito for $300, inclusive of all taxes and fees. I used my MC for the insurance waiver and, of course, paid for all fuel (diesel), but, as the man said as he wrote up our contract, $300 was better than zero -- it was, after all, Feb!
Individual companies each have there own cancellation polocies, and SOME don't require a deposit during the off-season. Supply should be abundant, after St.Patrick's Day, unless you have very specific needs (automatics), but if you are just looking for a manual sedan, you shouldn't have any trouble scoring a decent deal, on the spot.
Bob
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bob. That was really good info. My brothers want to go with an automatic. But, as they're going regardless of our circumstances, and as we were going to get two cars anyway, they can go ahead and book. I really don't think my husband minds going with a manual. That's what we had when we were there in '82. You've eased my mind considerably!