Car in Amalfi?

May 15th, 2008, 02:28 AM
Original Poster

Car in Amalfi?

We will be in Tuscany for a week with a car. From Tuscany we want to go to Sorrento for 2 nights and Amalfi for 2 nights. While there we want to visit Pompeii, Hereculeum, Capri and either on the way down or back we want to stop in Monte Cassino. Our flight leaves from Rome FCO at 11:00 am. I plan to stay near airport in Rome or Termini the night before we leave.
I am not sure if I should keep the car so I have mobility and to make it easier to visit Monte Cassino or whether to return the car in Rome or somewhere else and take other transportation. I understand the car won't be too useful in Amalfi Coast but it is convenient.
Can anyone make suggestions on the best way to handle this? Thanks.
May 15th, 2008, 03:03 AM

The key to having a car on the amalifi coast is having a place to park it at night. I would check with the hotels where you are staying and see if they have parking and how much it is. We enjoyed having our car but you could go without except Monte Cassino might be tough. I'd make sure you have a gps unit for navigation.
May 15th, 2008, 03:04 AM

Are you sure that in the four days you're in Amalfi Coast and Penisola Sorrentina, you want also to visit Pompei, Ercolano and Capri ?
I think it is too much for only 4 days, and the risk is to not enjoy any place very well as they deserve.
Anyway, drop off the car early in the morning of your departure in FCO because it is very useful to visit Monte Cassino.
Have a lovely trip, ciao.

Vincenzo
May 15th, 2008, 11:16 AM

You don;t say when you will be there - and that is key. We've been twice in May and loved having a car - in August it can be hell. But - agree that Monte Cassino without a car is difficult.

I would just be sure that you hotel has parking available and you should be fine.

As for your days

1 Pompeii/Sorrento
1 Herculaneum/?
1 boat to Capri
1 actually in Amalfi/Positano etc
Assume you will see MC on the way back to Rome

Sounds doable
May 16th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the input, now I have a new question.
I will be in Italy June 7-21. I am going to keep the car. On the way from Tuscany to Sorrento I will stop in Pompeii and on the way back to Rome I will stop in Monte Cassino.
Do you think I should spend 4 nights in Sorrento or 2 in Sorrento and 2 in Amalfi? Not sure about switching hotels...and do you know of any nice hotels at a reasonable rate you have stayed in?

Thank you very much.
May 16th, 2008, 04:33 AM

Hi BS - I'd choose one base or the other for 4 nights. Not much point in changing hotels when they're relatively close - especially if you're keeping the car.

Personally I'd choose to base on the Amalfi Coast rather than Sorrento.

Steve
May 16th, 2008, 04:50 AM

I would also choose Amalfi over Sorrento - and would stay there 4 nights.
May 16th, 2008, 05:03 AM

BethStan,

Just returned from 2 weeks in Italy last night (week in St. Agata sui Due Golfi..week in Rome) St. Agata sits above Sorrento and is close to Positano and the Amalfi Coast)..We rented a car in Rome, drove to St. Agata and used the car for several road trips such as Amalfi, and Pompeii. We also utilized public transport, buses to Positano and hyrofoil to Naples. Bottom line in my opinion, a car is convenient but it does comes with hassles such as parking (very hard to find on the Amalfi Coast...not as bad in Sorrento) and traffic. But public transport has its hassles as well, on our return from Positano we actually could not get on two buses as they were entirely full and had to wait almost 3 hours to finally get on a bus, (and this was early May, the crowds will only get worse as the Spring/Summer proceeds) We were in the Sorrento area for a week in a villa so a car was a nice convenience, with your schedule of 2 nights in Sorrento and 2 nights in Amalfi I would refrain from renting a car. Sorrento is a good base for exploring the Amalfi Coast and is a short ferry trip to Capri and a short (30 min) train ride to Pompeii. Hope this helps...PS, the trip was incredible and the Sorrento/Amalfi area was beautiful with very friendly people, great food and vino!...enjoy!
Mikek