Capri Hotel - Ceasar Augustus was AWFUL!

Jun 4th, 2002, 05:42 PM
KH

Capri Hotel - Ceasar Augustus was AWFUL!

We've just returned from a 10 day trip in Italy, which included a 4-day stay on the Amalfi Coast and a 2/3 day stay on Capri. Since the Fodor's book recommended the Ceasar Augustus hotel on Capri, we booked there, being tempted by its captivating views and the stunning pool.

Our "deluxe double room" was $260.00 a night, and was the biggest waste of money. Aside from the great view from our room's balcony, the whole experience was little better than a room at some Motel 6. The rooms built into the cliff, under the patio (there are at least 12 or so) apparently have NO insulation. If the woman in the next room put a coin on the table, we heard it. We therefore heard every bathroom noise from the rooms on either side, could hear their conversations WORD for WORD, their TVs, every cough, etc. It was as if we were IN THIER ROOMS with them. I can only assume that they heard us as well.

The air conditioning was set to turn itself off every 5 minutes, so not only could the noise not drown out some of the neighbor's noises, but it couldn't cool down the hot, humid room. We had the windows open awhile, but had to shut them against the swarms of mosquitoes, which were apparently not held at bay by the bats swooping outside the deck.

Having been kept awake until 2 AM by the nieghbors, we complained as nicely as possible to the staff and were informed that we could upgrade to a $370/nt. suite "to make us satisfied."

The staff was generally rude, especially regarding the "shuttle van" that is supposed to be at guests disposal. It was driven only sporadically, and only went to Marina Grande when a ferry was due.

We were so disappointed and I wanted to share it so that people might be warned - the hotel's pictures are lovely, but just visit the deck and take photo - DO NOT STAY THERE!!

By contrast, we had a lovely time at the Hotel Tritone in Praiano, and an absolutely WONDERFUL experience at the Albergo del Senato in Rome. (Both at similar prices to the dreadful C. Augustus).

Jun 4th, 2002, 06:00 PM
John G

Caesar Augustus?? $370 a night? Darling, did you have one too many Camparis in the Piazzetta?

The Caesar Augustus isn't even the 5th-best hotel on Capri (even though it is in Anacapri). The hotel reception must have though you were a rube from Nebraska. No one would pay $370 a night to stay in such a cesspool.

Anyone who is anybody stays at Quisisana. Even if you are middle class you stay, at least, at Luna.

Sweetie, darling, what were you thinking??

Next time, email me, and I will set you straight.

Ciao, John G.

Jun 4th, 2002, 07:18 PM
Karin

John, you are too funny. KH: Thanks very much for the warning. This type of info is precisely the reason I even look at this site, and the Ceasar Augustus was a hotel we were seriously considering for our trip to Capri--for 10 days! Unfortunately, I've also seen a post that described the poor condition of rooms at the Quisisana, so price definitely doesn't seem to guarantee quality accommodations.

Jun 4th, 2002, 07:21 PM
xxx

Really, Fodor's or not, you should have done your homework. What a dump!! What an outrageous price! Why did you pay this? Didn't you do ANY research and talk to the hotel staff? YOu got royally ripped off and it must be because you were so naive!!!

Jun 5th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Melissa

KH -
Thanks for the warning. Too bad that you were attacked for providing useful information. I guess the attackers have nothing else to do with their time (others attacked as well today include someone who complained about toilets in Spain & another who thought European hotels don't stand up to America's).
Why can't people give information/ express their opinions without the nasties out their rushing to blast them!

Jun 5th, 2002, 11:24 AM
John G

Melissa, who is being nasty here?? I think you are the one with the nasty attitude to come here and criticize those of us who offer advice.

If you were sincere, you would have posted a valid email address, Melissa.

You are a troll and trolls belong either in caves or under bridges, not on a travel site with travel EXPERTS.

You can lead a whore to culture, but, obviously, you can't make her think. (DP)

Ciao, John G.

Jun 5th, 2002, 11:45 AM
But her hed

DP - Dolly Parton, right John G.?

Jun 5th, 2002, 12:28 PM
John G

Duh!! It's Danny Partridge.

Aug 23rd, 2002, 07:40 PM
Jennifer

We just got back from the Caesar Augustus, where we spent the first three nights of our honeymoon in a suite with a terrace/balcony. IT IS HEAVENLY. Do not let one bad experience there sway you. The staff is lovely and friendly, the views are insane and the pool -- the POOL! -- is out of this world, worth every penny. The poolside bar also has great food. We could have stayed a full week there, easily.

Please rest assured this is a wonderful hotel.