Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can anyone suggest great palces to eat in Rome?

Jan 28th, 2003, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

I am going to Rome in Feb for 6 days. I need some great restaurant suggestions! it is my first time there.
Jan 28th, 2003, 12:37 PM

Maybe not in the main tourist area but we had a great meal at 'Zeus'on Via Nazionale, just down from Termini. It was a great meal and always packed each night we passed.
Jan 28th, 2003, 12:55 PM

Depends on what you want to spend. Have eaten at Alfredo's (piazza Augusto Imperatore 30), Girarrosto Toscano (Via Campania 39) and a lot of small Trattoria's that have all been great. It's pretty hard to find bad food in Italy. For the more formal places make reservations.
Jan 28th, 2003, 02:08 PM

Good food,easy to order as english speaking person(bypass the english menu it reads like a childrens' one),many Italians eating all around us ..Ninno near the Spanish Steps. We ate here our 2nd night of our first trip to Italy.
Jan 28th, 2003, 02:19 PM
lafrancaise

Grappolo d'Oro in the Campo di Fiori. Great central location in a wonderful historic district close to the ancient monuments (walking distance) and a famous open market that has been around since the Middle Ages. I would even recommend staying in the Campo di Fiori - you can't beat the location and the unique feel of the place! Also, try Orso 80 up near the Pantheon - great local restaurant where food is served family-style in a comfortable, clean place.

Jan 28th, 2003, 02:43 PM

We were in Rome last May and ate at Fortunata de Pantheon following recommendations on this board. It was excellent. Almost everybody in the restaurant appeared to be locals and it was almost full until just before 11PM.

Location.
With your back to the Pantheon walk straight ahead and just to the right.
One block.
Jan 28th, 2003, 03:10 PM

Buca di Ripetta at I think 36 via di Ripetta. I was the only American there, and the food was great, and also reasonably priced. Service was excellent, and the waiter helped me make a wine selection.

Buon Viaggio,
BC
Jan 29th, 2003, 03:20 AM
EW

I haven't been to Rome in over a couple of years, but here's my choice for most memorable restaurant:

Trattoria da Gigghetto.

A wonderful restaurant in the heart of the "Jewish Ghetto" of Rome and sitting right beside an ancient Roman structure "Potico d'Ottavia" (still being excavated when we were there). There's nothing like eating your dinner as you ponder the ancient ruins that are literally within arm's reach.

You'll want to make reservations and check the price range for your comfort level.

Contact information: Via del Portica d'Ottavia, 21/A-22-00186. Tel. 06.68.61.105 (closed Mondays).

Let us know what you pick!
Jan 29th, 2003, 11:45 AM

Hi francineB
I know that the most recent recommendations are preferred, but there have been some wonderful, long, past postings on Rome restaurants in the past year. Try doing a search on Rome restaurant I think you'll be glad you did. Also check the Rants and Raves comments on Rome restaurants elsewhere here on fodors.com
Lots of pithy comments.

I have a file on Rome, if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]
Jan 29th, 2003, 11:53 AM

Try the Sabatini Restaurant in the Trestavere Section. Great Roman cuisine in a historic piazza across from one of Rome's oldest churchs.
Jan 29th, 2003, 12:54 PM
DRJ

FRANCINE:
I always recommend Fiaschetteria Beltrame at 35 Via della Croce, a block or two from the bottom of the Spanish Steps and really like their Abbachia Scotaditta (sp?). Also, my favorite pizzaria is Pizzario Remo in the center of Testaccio. Take the Metro to Piramide and ask anyone. Its a four or five block walk and absolutely rocks with locals. (Good fried baccala, too.) Will be there myself next month and can't wait.
Jan 30th, 2003, 07:38 AM

In my opinion the food is only 1/2 of the picture when picking restaurants in Italy. The setting and atmosphere are just as important. I reccomend in addition to the previous good reccomendations to try one of the outdoor restaurant on Piazza Navona. We loved it at night with all artists, muscians, etc.
Oh and the food was wonderful too!!

Have a great trip, April
Jan 30th, 2003, 09:49 AM

I would save the Piazza Navona for a stroll with a gelato after dinner. The restaurants around the Piazza are overpriced and the food mediocre at best. Plus, you are constantly asked to buy roses or other trinkets from wandering sellers. There are many very good restaurants with romantic patios in the evening: Ditirambo, Dar Pallaro, Vecchia Roma, Paris, Alberto Chiarla, Pierluigi and Ciampini to name a very few.