Money belt in U.K. and Paris?

Jan 30th, 2003, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Money belt in U.K. and Paris?

After reading about money belts in previous posts, I am wondering if a money belt is necessary on a seven day trip to the southern U.K. including London and a round trip to Paris on the Eurostar?
Jan 30th, 2003, 07:40 AM

Will you be in places frequented by tourists?

If so, expect pickpockets, and plan accordingly!
Jan 30th, 2003, 08:16 AM

The Eurostar brings tourists to Paris.
Usually tourists have money, credit cards, and poor defenses. If you were a pickpocket, whom would you target? A local or a tourist?

And don't think you can blend in like a native. It is very difficult, particularly if you don't speak French like a Parisian.

I look so American that people approach me from the rear and offer to help, in English.
Jan 30th, 2003, 08:26 AM

tada,
We've been in London several times and never used money belts. If you are aware of your surroundings and use common sense such as carrying your purse in front of your body, you should be fine. We also took the round trip to Paris aboard the Eurostar with no problems whatsoever. I guess money belts would be good for people who become lax concerning their personal property.
Jan 30th, 2003, 08:39 AM

As a Londoner, I reckon you would be ok without a money belt - they can make you an even more obvious target to some potential thugs.

Just be careful - esp' in the touristy areas. Oxford St has a bad rep and so too does the underground, but if you stay astute, you should be fine.

Been to Paris twice and not used a money belt there either...

At the end of the day - its what will make YOU feel safest...
Jan 30th, 2003, 09:58 AM

Paris? Yes.
London? Maybe.
Countryside in southern UK? Probably not.

Jan 30th, 2003, 10:01 AM

maxie has been lucky - as have most sensible travelers. BUT it only takes once to ruin an entire trip. Consider a money belt a very inexpensive insurance policy. 99% of the time it isn't necessary - but that one time it will safe your life.

I travel to the UK several times a year and to the continent including Paris every year or so. I always take a money belt. Depending on my activities I don't necessarily wear it every day, but do about 90% of the time.

Do you not have car insurance just because you've never had a wreck?