Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need info on inexpensive hotels and resturaunts in Rome

Old Feb 7th, 2005, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiancee and I were given tickets to Europe as an engagement present and are going to be spending three nights in Rome in mid-May. I'm now attempting to plan for our trip and would like suggestions from all of you more experianced travelers on inexpensive hotels or bed and breakfasts in the center of Rome and recomendations on good but inexpensive resturaunts. Also if anyone can give me any ideas on what a good amount to budget for meals and transportation while in Rome it would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 05:43 AM

What are you looking to spend, per night, on your hotel/B&B?

I can recommend the Relais Banchi Vecchi, a B&B close to the Campo dei Fiori. Right now their website says that they charge between 125 and 160 Euros per night with breakfast. When my sister stayed there last year she negotiated a price of 100 Euros per night.

It's a great little place, but if you are looking to have staff around full time, it may not be the right place for you -- the owner is in and out.

Good luck.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 05:52 AM

What is your idea of inexpensive? My husband and I stayed at Hotel San Carlo last April - stayed on the top floor, which was newly renovated and had large, marble bathrooms - a huge plus in Europe! I think we paid around 150Euros a night, but well worth it for the location (right by the Spanish Steps)and for the large rooms.

As for restaurants, there are so many and usually we stumbled across them during our daytime walks and went back at dinner time. Italian dinners are long and contain more than one course, usually. We ate at a wine bar once or twice because it was less formal and you didn't feel compelled to order three course meals if you weren't that hungry or didn't want to spend as much.

We didn't need any transportation in Rome, except to and from the airport and that was around 13E for the train ride. The city is easily explorable by foot.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 10:53 AM

It's a very good idea to bring restaurant recommendations to Rome. We found that bad food costs the same as good food in Rome, and there was a wide variation in quality. The bad food was horrendously bad, and the good food was fabulous. sometimes the good food was cheaper than the bad food!!!

Here's an example of an excellent dinner for a great price for Rome...Ristorante der Pallaro will feed you a full-course meal, including wine and dessert, for 20 euros each, no hidden costs! It's fabulous home-made Italian cooking. No menus, they just keep bringing on the food, and it's wonderful. Buy the Streetwise Rome map in your local bookstore to locate the address of restaurants, or else you will never find them. Located on a tiny square at Largo del Pallaro, 15. On the map it will be abbreviated as "L. d. Pallaro", in tiny print, south of Piazza Navona, across the major street Corso vittorio Emmanuele, and just east of Campo dei Fiori. Try to get a table INSIDE to be right in the heart of an Italian family ristorante. This was our #1 favorite dining experience in Italy.

Old Feb 7th, 2005, 11:05 AM

Also, try eating at Ristorante alla Rampa, east of the Spanish steps, at Piazza Mignanelli, 18. Order only the self-service trip to the fabulous anti-pasti spread with little finger foods including fish, meat, vegies for only 10 euros each. This must be the cheapest gourmet meal in Rome!

Another money-saving option is to eat at a good casual ristorante on a pleasant little piazza, like Osteria Da Mario, not far from the Pantheon on Piazza delle Coppelle, 51, and just order a pasta dish. North of the Pantheon.

Staying near the Pantheon is an excellent location, in a wonderful walkable neighborhood, near lots of good restaurants, walking distance to Trevi fountain, Spanish steps, the Pantheon, Piazza Navonna, and it's a further walk but you can even walk to the Colosseum and the Roman Forum, and take the public bus back. Take the public bus to the Vatican and St. Peter's, cheap public bus ride.

Have a great honeymoon! And remember, we had our worse food in Rome by just wandering by and choosing randomly...and it wasn't any cheaper, either! Bring your recommendations along with a couple good maps, the Streetwise Rome map has a street and piazza index.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 11:53 AM

I can recommend the Hotel Panda, which is RIGHT by the Spanish Steps. It was cheap and clean and safe, great location, very central. Check out www.hotelpanda.it, for current prices. We were just there in Dec. and there were 5 of us in a room, for about 250 euros/night. It did not serve breakfast. I would have no qualms recommending this to you as your honeymoon hotel, as long as you are not the type of person who is looking for breakfast-in-bed or large marble bathrooms (although that sounds very nice). There are several nice restaurants on this street too that are reasonably priced (see below). I can't really recommend restaurants b/c my husband and I like to just wander and pick interesting looking places to try- not fancy places, just authentic-looking places, where you see lots of locals. We enjoyed trying different varieties of paninis and pizzas in the snack-type restaurants, along with other odd-looking foods that we ended up loving (you have to try a suppli' di rice; it looks like a hush puppy, but inside is rice, tomato sauce and mozarella-excellent!). The point is: sure, go ahead and plan some great places to dine, but also don't be afraid to just go in somewhere that looks neat and try something new! It's one of the best parts of being there!
As far as budget goes, I agree that you can walk anywhere in Rome, especially if you're staying in the center. You won't need to budget for daily transport, unless you just want to (and trust me, after one ride on the metro, you'll decide walking is way fun!). It cost us each E9,50 to get from the airport to the main train station(so like $10 or so each), and then on the day we went back to the airport, the same (we actually hired a private bus service, since there were 5 of us, and preferred it infinitely to the metro). Of course budgeting for meals depends on your "taste." If you want more than a panini or pizza, but not too fancy, it will cost about the same as a place like Olive Garden or Chili's costs here (E10-12 for a meal).
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 03:11 PM

I stayed at a very reasonable B & B in December. It is called Soggiorno Il Girasole and can be accessed via the internet at www.soggiornoilgirasole.com.
I paid about 85 EU per night for a large room with two single beds. It has a nice, but small bathroom and very small shower ( a heavy or tall person may have some trouble fitting inside ). The room was immaculate, towels were large and thick, but the breakfast was really lousy. The location was excellent- on Via Boschetta. For some it may be off the beaten path but I loved the location and the quaint shops around. It is off of Via Nazionale not too far from Piazza Venezia, the Coloseum and the Forum and within walking distance to all sites. Via Boschetta had alot of quaint enoteca's that were reasonably priced for dinner. There are also a few Indian restaurants in the area. We ate twice at Enoteca Antico Locanda right down the street from the B& B. For a great meal try Orso '80- it is near the Pantheon and you may need reservations. YOu only need to order the antipasti and some wine and it is plenty of food for two people. They bring plates and plates of food.
On Via Dei Serpenti, running parallel to Via Boschetta is a great pizzeria that sells all types of thin crust pizza slices by lb.- can't recall the name but lunch time (siesta time) always had a crowd. The pizza's were great and make a great lunch meal. There are so many dining options- and if you don't eat a lot of meat and stick to salad and pasta dishes and house wine you can eat relatively inexpensive- even with the EU. Insalata Ricca is a reasonable restaurant for large salads and pasta dishes. There is one near the Campo Fiori.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 05:21 PM

Try Hotel Paba there are comments about it on this site. 5 min walk to Forum, Colloseum near shortcut to S. Maria Maggiore. In April we are paying 135 euros. Border's has MapEasy's Guide map to Rome and also list restaurant. Marge
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 05:28 PM

Ristorante der Pallaro at Largo del Pallaro, 15 go to http://mappy.com is always a good map for Europe just mark that you want Pedestrian when walking. It's about 25 min from Htl Paba. Marge
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Original Poster

Thaks for all of the helpful suggestions. To answer a couple of questions, I was hoping to spend less than $225 a night for hotel, but if we have to spend more to get some place w/ aircond. and a pivate bath we can. Thanks again for all the great suggestions and keep 'em coming.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 05:05 AM

Try Nicolas Inn right by the Colosseum. You can get their continental breakfast served in bed. Small place but good sized rooms & wonderful bathrooms. They gave us excellent restaurant recommendations. We ate well without spending very much.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 09:36 AM

For about a little less than your 225
(from Oanda, today: Tuesday, February 8, 2005
225 US Dollar = 176.277 Euro
225 Euro (EUR) = 287.190 US Dollar (USD) )

you an get a nice room in Rome. Try the San Carlo. They may advertise higher prices, but I think you can get it for a bit less.

If you can spend just a little more, or if the exchange rate gets better, I suggest the Portoghesi, which is my favorite in Rome, but I think runs about 180 E.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all of the good advice. Due to a change in my work schedule we are now considering taking our trip in August rather than May. I was wondering if this was a good idea as I have heard that many things, restuarants and shops, in Rome are closed in August and that the weather is extremely hot and humid. Any advice or experiance w/ Rome in August?
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 10:40 PM

My first trip to Italy (Rome, Florence, Venice) was in August. It was incredibly hot and humid but I was in Italy so it did not in any way effect my trip or my enjoyment level. In Rome everything was open, I did not notice any restaurant or store closures or if there were closures many other places were open. All tourist sites were open. It is a big city after all.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 03:36 AM
awbaker

The good thing about being in Rome in August is that it is a low season for hotels, so the rates will be cheaper.

I can also personally recommend Relais Banchi Vecchi (large rooms, GOOD ac, central location.) But in August, you can probably get a double room at Albergo del Senato (highly recommended by many people on this forum) next to the Pantheon for a rate within your budget.

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 09:37 PM

I've been researching same question, and found
Hotel San Francesco
Great location. www.hotelsanfrancesco.net
120 Euro /night (special internet rate) for a double, including breakfast, airconditioned, large bathroom. Lovely rooftop terrace, sunny dining room.
Fill in the web site reservatijon form--they replied within a day Thishotel gets great reviews on tripadvisor.com.
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 06:42 AM

I just want to echo the comment of Melissa5: Rome probably has more bad restaurants than anywhere else in Italy (outside of Venice). It pays to do some planning ahead.

For cheap, good food, I think the place to start is pizza. You can get single servings throughout the day at bakeries, which is good for refueling, but for a transcendent experience hit one of the pizzerias, which are usually only open for dinner. The last time I was in Rome I ate at La Montecarlo (near Piazza Navona, just of Corso Emmanuelle II, one of the city's main drags). Maybe it's the sauce, maybe it's the cheese, maybe it's the oven -- for whatever reason, the pizza we had there was in a different class than anything I've eaten in the U.S. And the atmosphere of the place felt just right: quick, no-nonsense service, and a room full of Romans enjoying themselves. (Though I'm giving Monte Carlo a big thumbs up, there are probably a dozen--or more--pizzerias in Rome that by reputation are just as good or better. The important thing is to know what those dozen are and try one that's convenient to you; don't just hit the streets and expect to stumble on a great place.)

Another good option for relatively inexpensive dining is wine bars. The other memorable meal we had in Rome (along with Montecarlo) was at a wine bar called Cavour 313, which is near the Colosseum and the forums -- a part of town where there aren't a lot of good dining options. The beauty of wine bars, as someone here has already mentioned, is that they're informal and flexible -- you can order as much or as little as you want (whereas at even the most modest trattoria you're expected to order two courses at the very least).

One final thought: if you do go in August instead of May, consider planning a siesta into your daily routine: hit the sights in the morning when it's cooler, retreat to your hotel in the heat of late afternoon, do some shopping and further sightseeing in the evening, and plan a late dinner.

Hope you have a fantastic trip!
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 09:41 AM

We did not have a single meal in Rome that was not excellent--and we just looked at menus outside the restaurant & if it looked appealing we chose that place. Look at what the other diners are eating in the outside areas. We found that Via Condotti offered lots of great little places for lunch.
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the suggestions, does anyone else have any experiance w/ hotels or resturaunts in Rome? I was also wondering how necessary it is to know Italian to communicate in Rome, or if many of the locals speak English? Neiter of us speak any Italian but we will be attempting to learn at least a little before our trip.