Bummed... please need help for Strasbourg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very bummed.... 4th annual Father and daughter fling starts with a flop. After moving around our plans over and over we finally got the travel route together. Paris to Strasbourg to Rothenburg to Berlin to Hamburg to Brugge and back to Paris. Unfortunatly we will be in Strasbourg on Saturday December 15th. I can't find a hotel with any availability. I joked that since the dollar stinks right now maybe we could cut some costs by sleeping in the rental car in Strasbourg. Got voted down. I love adventure, dad not so much. Anyone have any ideas? Greatly appreciated... need some love from a fellow fodorite...
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 01:19 PM

well, how are you looking for hotels? I suppose if there is some Eur. Council thing going on there, that's possible, but mid December isn't usually a time it is difficult to find hotels in major cities.

Have you called or emailed the Tourist Office? They usually know which local hotels might have rooms.
www.ot-strasbourg.com

Their website shows plenty of vacancies in hotels in the urban sector on Dec 15th. (eg, the Bonne Franquette. It's a 2* Logis de France hotel, and that's a good website to search, also
http://www.logis-de-france.fr

I stayed at the Hotel de l'Europe which I really liked. It's wellknown, though, so if all rooms are booked in the city, it probably will be also
http://www.hotel-europe.com/

If you had to go nearby, Colmar is a small town not far, of course.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 02:18 PM

Don't know if they have rooms...but great little place across from the cathedral http://www.hotel-rohan.com/
Good luck!
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 02:42 PM
LLC

If you can't find anything in Strasbourg and will have a car, you might consider driving 30-40 minutes to Gengenbach in Germany,one of my favorite towns. In December they have a special Advent calendar in town, and have a Christmas market open until 8 at night. www.stadt-gengenbach.de Gengenbach would probably be less expensive than Strasbourg,too.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info... I will call the tourist info office tomorrow. Gengenbach looks beautiful but when I navigated to the hotel site I could not get the english page to load! Urgh!! It always works out for the best, I will keep you informed.... Thanks
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 03:35 PM

Strasbourg is lovely! Have you considered staying in a pension or B&B?
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 03:53 PM

You are probably better off not pressing the Strasbourg thing since the town is full. That means full price if you can find a room. Could be just Christmas markets or a complete seating of their congress. Try Dijon or Metz, both pleasant out of the way places. Alternate cities will probably work out for the best anyway.

Old Nov 15th, 2007, 07:49 PM

Here's another possibility:

http://www.maison-rouge.com/
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 09:51 PM

Francefling, have a look on www.venere.com. I put your date in and 3 Hotels came up with availability!
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 09:54 PM

I saw a bunch of hotels come up on GTAHotels.com . Also on Kayak.com . The price can really vary from site to site. For example, GTA has the Hilton, including breakfast, for 150 Euros, while Expedia has the Hilton with breakfast for over $500.