Search

Day-trip from Dublin: Waterford

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2007, 03:57 AM
bdj
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day-trip from Dublin: Waterford

Maximizing public transportation, we wish to make a day-trip journey from Dublin International to the Waterford Crystal factory on an autumn weekday morning. Any assistance in the form of suggestion, experience or resources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance…
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 05:11 AM

To get to Waterford using public transport, your best bet would be to take a train from Heuston Station in Dublin. It takes just under 3 hours. For timetables, see www.irishrail.ie. When you get to Waterford it's quite a way to the Crystal factory, so I would think a taxi would be your best option.

However 6 hours of travelling is alot for a day trip and begs the question - why Waterford? There are plenty of better places for day trips that aren't as far from Dublin.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 05:24 AM

Hijacking - with apologies!

Cailin - if you are still online.... at the end of a ten day trip that begins in dublin next week (late november) I will end in Galway for three days, then rush back to Shannon overnite for early departure. Is it foolish to go to Aran Islands for one of those three nights - 24 hours - at this time of the year? And more foolish to consider taking a Ferry there? Do you know how much it will cost to fly to Aran Isles?

Thanks - good luck with Dublin day trip!
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 05:57 AM

I'm still here!!

I don't think it would be foolish to go to the Aran Islands for one of the three nights. Obviously you're not guaranteed good weather, but I still think you would enjoy the trip. I've only been to Inishmore but I loved it!

The flights only cost about €50 return, so I think they'd be a much better bet than the ferry. I've been over on the ferry on a calm summer day and a few others got seasick, so I cannot imagine what it would be like next week!
Try www.aerarannislands.ie to book flights and check prices.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 07:47 AM

topping for bdj

with thanks to Cailin! Whee!
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 12:22 PM
bdj
Original Poster

cailin...Much obliged for the link.

Any thoughts on the most expeditious transport from Dublin International to Heuston station?

Thanks in advance...
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 01:35 AM

There's a bus (the 748) that goes from the airport to Heuston Station. You will get it just outside the arrivals hall. They depart every 30 minutes. Alternatively a taxi would probably be your best bet.