ideas for one day in Strasbourg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will have one day in Strasbourg, on our way from Lake Como to Frankfurt ... I'd love suggestions on what to do, where to stay and where to eat.

We love: walking, eating and drinking.
We don't like: touristy stuff, unless it's killer (Louvre, etc.)

thanks in advance!

RobbyDee
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 09:51 AM

Spend your time in the old town of Strasbourg - it is very nice. The area called Petite France is interesting, lots of neat buildings on the river. Lots of good places to eat and drink around the main town square. Visit the cathedral and see the clock inside. For a good traditional meal go to Maison Kammerzell situated in a 16th-century building with wooden beams and frescoes near the cathedral. Have the local specialty choucroute (what most of us would call sauerkraut with some meat) - yummie. The local beer is Kronenberg and the same brewery makes one called 1664. Both are quite good. Another good local food item is the tarte flambe, sort of a thin crust pizza topped with cream, cooked onions, and choice of meats. Again, they are very good. Strasbourg is a very nice town you will like it. What I like about the area is it feels like Germany in architecture and even some of the food but has the French ambience as well.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 10:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The Strasbourg tramway is easy and convenient. You buy tickets out of the machines on the station platforms and stick them in the validators, also on the platforms. Then they are valid for x number of minutes, including transfers (I don't remember how many minutes -- 30? 40? 45?).
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 10:21 AM

We had a day in Strasbourg and really enjoyed it. It's a great city to wander, and I agree with the suggestions of the cathedral and Petit France. We enjoyed a short boat trip as a different way to see the city.

We stayed at the Hotel Cardinql de Rohan, in the pedestrian area just off the cathedral square. I'd recommend this hotel. http://www.slowtrav.com/france/hotel...p;s=strasbourg

Kathy
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 10:46 AM

I also agree with Curt. Two hotels to consider are the Maison Kammerzell and the Cathedrale Hotel. Of the two I prefer the Maison but both are excellent choices. Both are located on Place De La Cathedrale and both have a great ambiance and views. Both should also be under 150 Euros for a double - probably can get them for well under. The Maison is considered a historical site in itself. Other locations where you might want to look for a hotel would be the around Place Broglie near the Opera and Place Kleber. Both would be a short walk to the old city. Strasbourg is one of those cities that I found to surpass my expectations.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 10:52 AM

We visited Strasbourg in February one year and saw the most beautiful snow I've ever seen in front of the cathedral. The flakes were so huge that you could easily see the pattern in each one. What a magical memory!
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 11:55 AM
jay

Robby,
We did the same drive and if I remember correctly just the drive to Mulhouse was most of a day. We toured the Schlumpf auto museum and stayed in Mulhouse for the night. The next day we went to Colmar, Riqwier(sp) and chateau Konnigsberg then on to Strasbourg. We stayed at the Old Town Comfort Inn in Str. and found it very easy to get to and it had secured parking in a nearby city garage. Suggestions on what to do in Old Town are correct. Go to the cathedral and just enjoy people watching. Baden-Baden is only an hour away if you have extra time.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 12:19 PM

However, if you want to save a lot of money and spend only between 40-75 euros for a hotel, there is an excellent selection of hotels facing the Strasbourg train station. Unlike most cities of that size, the train station area is not sleazy at all.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 11:11 AM

Strongly agree with the comment about Konnigsberg - a wonderful place to visit. Makes a nice day trip from Strasbourg. Very interesting castle.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 12:11 PM

Spelling: Haut-Koenigsbourg
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 11:05 AM

The first post from Curt was spot on. My wife and I loved the city, had dinner at Maison Kammerzell, drank the same beer, ate the same food and fell in love with Tarte Flambee. Skip the art museum, concentrate om Cathedral Square and Petit France. Shopping is also excellent with many of the same shops as Paris.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 11:14 AM

Ditto- Strasbourg is a wonderful city and can easily be done on foot (the old part of town is mainly pedestrian, so you are free to look up at the beautiful architecture!) Great shopping a people watching. The main tourist office is just across from the Cathedral. The offer free tips about the city and maps for 1EUR. I was just there in October and did not want to leave. Here is the citied link: http://www.strasbourg.com/ Enjoy!
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 12:28 PM

Thank you for posting this question as we also have one day there. I am taking notes.
Old May 28th, 2007, 02:39 PM

Bookmarking
Old May 28th, 2007, 03:33 PM

Climb the stars to the top of the cathedral. Great view plus good excerise.

See my trip report here.
http://www.slowtrav.com/tr/tripreport.asp?tripid=1259