Search

Budget Hotels in France?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Budget Hotels in France?

Hello!
I am in the midst of planning a short notice trip to Paris for 6 days and Lyon for 3-4 days at the end of May. Can any one give suggestions on budget hotels in Paris and Lyon? Or any good websites that offer online booking for budget hotels? Is Lyon expensive? I am on a budget and can spend up to 80 EUR a night for a double room. Thanks so much for any help!
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 05:05 PM

My recollection is that my friends paid less than 80 euro for a double room at the Minerve Hotel in Paris. They liked it. I found a 2 star hotel in Lyon by googling a web site that listed all the 2 star Lyon hotels and comparing them to the recommendations of various guide books. The one we used was funky but in downtown Lyon, right behind the Hotel Dieu. I recall the price in the 60's.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 05:23 PM

My suggestion is also the Minerve (in the 5th) in Paris - I stayed there last year in March and it was 83 euro. Champs de Mars in the 7th was also about that price and very nice. The St Andre des Arts in the 6th is in a fabulous location but is not quite as nice as the other two. I've stayed at all three in the past three years and would stay at all of them again.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 10:28 PM

Hi

You've got a choice of the chains (try http://www.accorhotels.com/accorhotels/index.html) or small family run hotels ( try http://www.logis-de-france.fr/uk/).

You can book both online.

Regards

Peter
http://tlp.netfirms.com
Old May 1st, 2003, 11:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You might want to post your question also over on www.lonelyplanet.com at their BB called Thorn Tree. It is much more aimed at true budget travel than Fodors. Many folks there think 80 a night is a luxury hotel - LOL.
Old May 1st, 2003, 11:34 AM

I think these are good budget booking sites:
www.123france.com
www.france-hotel-guide.com
www.parishotels.com

By budget, I mean they will have some hotels in that range, as well as higher.
www.eurocheapo.com has budget hotels of course with info, but I don't know if they have booking. I suppose they do or there wouldn't be a reason for the site.
Old May 1st, 2003, 11:39 AM
SLHogan

nycdawg:

I stayed at the Hotel de la Herse d'Or on rue Antoine in the 4th/Marais (Paris). It's very close to the Place de la Bastille Metro and I paid either 52 or 54 Euros per night. It's a one star, rooms are clean, and I had a TV and private WC. I think you have to specify what you want in your room.

Hope that helps! And have fun.

Old May 1st, 2003, 11:45 AM

Check back issues of Budget Travel. I think ther was a feature article on this a couple of months ago
Old May 1st, 2003, 11:54 AM
kd

also try bookings.org
Old May 1st, 2003, 12:10 PM

There is a great place in the 5th which is very clean, the people are kind and the price is incredibly reasonable. I believe a double is under 60 Euros

The name is Hotel des Allies, 20, rue Berthollet tel. 011.33.1.43.31.47.52 (assuming that you're phoning from North America).

The best thing is that Hotel des Allies is a short walk from rue Mouffetard which is a lively old market street with plenty of restaurants which are open late.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 07:26 AM

There are quite a few nice budget hotels in Paris mentioned here: Bonaparte (has a/c also), Regents Hotel (has no a/c and a few terrace rooms at only 100-110 euro), Hotel de la Sorbonne (no a/c), etc.

I'm thinking of visiting Lyon and checked out Hotel La Residence and since we need a triple room we can get one for 70 euro (has a/c) with buffet breakfast extra @ 6.5 euro/pp. That's a great rate in my opinion and I saw the rooms on their website-they look pretty good. Since you need a double room it's 65 euro.

Have a great trip!