Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Central hotels in Avignon, Lyon and Paris

Nov 17th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone

I’m looking at hotel options for Avignon, Lyon and Paris (which arrondissement would you suggest?).
I’m looking for 3/4-star hotels. My 4 criteria are:
- free wifi
- central location
- a/c
- preferably with elevator
I’ve had a couple of recommendations so far: Hotel La Residence in Lyon, and in Avignon, Hotel d’Europe and Hotel Colbert.
I have no experience with apartments.

Thanks
Nov 17th, 2013, 09:02 AM

Try www.accorhotels.com for France's largest hotel group - yeh modern hotels but with all the amenities and great locations in all three towns - IBIS, Novotel, etc are very very well thought of by French.
Nov 17th, 2013, 09:39 AM

I like Accor hotels also, in France. I really recommend the Mercure Lyon Beaux Arts, it is perfect central location and meets your criteria, I think. I stayed there several days and really liked it a lot. http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-...ts/index.shtml

YOu criteria won't mean much in Paris, there are hundreds of hotels that fit it. And any 3* and up hotel in Paris will have an elevator, anyway. And I bet they will all have AC, also, I don't know of any 3* ones left that don't, but at least, it will be common. Paris is a lot larger, so there are many places you can stay that could easily be "central" enough. In Lyon, you probably do want to be in the center of the two rivers.

You really should state a budget for Paris, especially, as it is going to vary a lot for 3-4* hotels in the various central arrondisements. Some are really expensive. And it depends on your dates, also, so if you care about budget, you should mention your dates.
Nov 17th, 2013, 09:45 AM

We have stayed at the Mercure. Once entering the old town walls/gate the parking garage is directly in front of your view.

Then, within the garage, there is a door leading to the hotel.

Very, very close to the old center.
Nov 17th, 2013, 11:15 AM

Last month we stayed at Le Phenix in Lyon and were very pleased with it. The location is wonderful, right on the river, and just a block from all the restaurants and shops of the old town.

http://www.hotel-phenix-lyon.fr/

In Paris I recommend staying in the 6th arr.

Byrd
Nov 17th, 2013, 11:43 AM

We stayed at Hotel Colbert in Avignon and liked the location. However, there is no elevator and it may be a *** but that seemed a bit iffy. The room was simple but it had a very good king size bed. The owner/manager was not especially friendly & helpful-we asked for glasses for wine, with stems or not-whatever was available and the guy said no-so we enjoyed our wine in plastic cups from the bathroom.
Nov 17th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Uma

We really enjoyed our stay at Hotel d' Europe in Avignon. Great location, nice room, wonderful staff.
Nov 18th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback everyone!