Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ibis Paris République - 10th - location, etc. any info?

Feb 28th, 2004, 01:08 AM
Original Poster

Ibis Paris République
9 RUE LEON JOUHAUX 75010
(1.5 km southwest of the Gare du Nord, according to mappy.fr)

No reviews on TripAdvisor. One favorable mention on this forum that I found. It is supposed to be air-conditioned. The rate is 79 Euros per night for my stay, July 11-18.

Since I am comparing it against other air-conditioned options for tourist convenience, safety, and desirability of the immediate location, here are the other two I am thinking of (as mentioned on other threads):

Comfort Hotel Bastille - 71 rue de Charonne, 75011 - 72 Euros/night
Mercure Raspail - 207 Boulevard Raspail, 75014, 85 Euros/night

Morgan gave an opinion that seems very sound that favored the Mercure Raspail over Comfort Hotel Bastille. How would the Ibis Republique fit in? Any other comments?

Thanks everyone for your knowledgeable frank comments so far.
Feb 28th, 2004, 03:18 AM

For not much more you can stay at the Muguet--a very pleasant Parisian hotel with charm.
Feb 28th, 2004, 06:08 AM

Will, I'll be in that neighborhood tomorrow and I'll try to at least walk by the Ibis and give you an impression.
Feb 28th, 2004, 09:19 AM

WillTravel, I agree with Gretchen. Hotels such as the Muguet offer rates that are in your budget and are located in much nicer neighborhoods-and with either the same or better amenities also. Another example is the Hotel de France Invalides that St. Cirq recommends is not expensive and is located in a very nice area.

Also eurocheapo.com has alot of budget selections, honest reviews. And these are known hotels in really nice neighborhoods. Just check if they offer the a/c.

Is there a reason for selecting these budget chain hotels that are located in less desirable areas?
Feb 28th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

The Muguet is 105 Euros for a twin room - so for me on a 7-day stay just for the part of our trip that is in Paris it adds up to a lot more. Another favorite, Hotel Monge, is 95 Euros for a twin room - again the difference would add up for me.

Thanks standby.
Feb 28th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Believe me, I am thoroughly checking and continuing to do so every day on numerous sites, but if I am looking for under 85 Euros for a twin room with air conditioning (which is as high as I want to go unless it's truly marvelous since I already have the Mercure Raspail which is acceptable at that price range), there is very little out there.
Feb 28th, 2004, 11:18 AM

Ibis are a most deplorable French chain of hotels, they are basic, and that is complimentary. A D (low security) class prison cell I imagine to have similar room design and comforts.
Feb 28th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Low security is a valid concern for me - can you elaborate?

The rooms being cells is not a huge concern - I'm sure I've done worse elsewhere.

The Ibis I stayed at in Sweden was quite lovely - probably about the nicest budget hotel I have stayed at - but I think it was definitely well above average.
Feb 28th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Oh I think I might have misread that. I presume m_kingdom is saying Ibis rooms are like minimum security prison cells, not that Ibis has bad security.
Feb 28th, 2004, 11:26 AM

Hi Will Travel-I just moved back to US after 3 years living in Paris and know those neighborhood fairly well. I think in terms of the level of rooms they will be very similar-but I do think from a neighborhood/logistics point of view the Ibis Paris Republique or Mercure Raspail would be the best:

The location of the Ibis Republique has the advantage that is on a little side street just north or Republique so chances are should be quiet-Republique is a main metro/bus area so would be easy to get anywhere fairly easily and has lots of big shops Virgin Megastore, FNAC, etc. on it-very lively-much less touristy than the 6th for example. Fairly young and very ethnically diverse. Plus you are near the canals St. Martin area only a block away to the east and it is really a lovely up and coming area-lots of cool little restaurant, etc.

The Mercure Raspail is also in a great but very different neighborhood in the south of Paris-Raspail is a busy street but with AC I doubt this will be a problem. You will probably see a few more toursits and the neighborhood is a bit more "upscale" than Republique. Although this is an extreme example, Denfert is more upper westside NY and Republique more Soho. The hotel is near the Denfert Rochereau metro/bus area which is equal or even better than Republique. Also, this hotel is really close to rue Daguerre which is a very wonderful marketstreet-one of the best in Paris chees shops, wine bars etc. and again you are in a great shopping area along General Leclerc and up the other way on Raspail towards the Latin quarter. Both of these hotels have easy access to the "B" line RER which runs to the airport and stops at gare du nord and Denfert-so that makes a big difference versus the Comfort Hotel-which is not as good a choice due to that and the other factors I mentioned.

If price is a concern then I would definitely choose either the Ibis or Mercure.....what you will lose out on versus a hotel like the muget is that both are a bit short on ambiance (think travelodge) But in July I would definitely trade AC for that. And the other reason they are cheaper than a lot of places listed on the board here is that they are further from the river so in neighborhoods that aren't as attractive to as many tourists....but I really love both of those areas and they are the more typical living neighborhoods for may Parisians, so I definitely think you would enjoy them if you don't mind the extra distance to the river since they are both near big metro stops.
Feb 28th, 2004, 01:18 PM

we stayed at the Ibis, and while it is indeed basic but clean, its location near the metro crosspoint of republique is however a plus !
we didn't have a problem with security in that area, nor in the hotel, nor on the street.

Feb 28th, 2004, 01:33 PM

WillTravel, I assume you're on a very strict budget, but for me the difference of 16 euros per day (Ibis vs. Monge) would be worth it to me just for the more central location of the Monge.

Feb 28th, 2004, 01:40 PM

Jpie did a very good job explaining the differences of the two neighborhoods. I personally prefer the Raspail are because it is a more established neighborhood. Republique is moving upward and is young and trendy but can occassionaly be a bit rough in areas particularly north of the square.

I also prefer Mercure to IBIS as Mercure is really a nice step up from the very basic rooms offered by IBIS.

That said there is nothing wrong with Republic. I would say Raspail, close second Republic , distant third Comfort Bastille.
Feb 28th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

I think based on the various posts and by exploring the neighborhoods using the tool at http://www.pagesjaunes.fr I will go for the Mercure Raspail unless an obviously better deal comes along.

In case anyone else is looking for cheap air-conditioned options this summer, among the cheaper options I have explored and rejected have been:
Mr. Bed in Bagnolet (56 Euros/twin)
Ibis Alesia Montparnasse (65 Euros/twin)
Village Hotel in Villette (and a couple others in Villette) (I think something like 50-60 Euros per twin)

Being in a somewhat less touristy area will suit my son fine - he's very interested in practicing French which he has studied very hard for five years.
Feb 28th, 2004, 02:21 PM

I would definitely choose the Mercure Raspail, both for hotel and location. Jpie is mistaken as to where this hotel is, however--the Mercure is not near Denfert Rochereau or Daguerre. I often stay in that neighborhood, and have seen it -- it is only a few doors down from bd Montparnasse and Le Dome cafe. Maybe Jpie is thinking of a different Mercure. I prefer this neighborhood to where the Muguet is myself, and would rather stay there than at the Muguet.

It is more convenient than where the Monge is, also. There are several different metro lines within a few blocks of there (both the Vavin and Raspail stops are within a block), as well as a bus stop right across the street, so you can easily go anywhere. It is also a short walk to Luxembourg Gardens and the Montparnasse train station, and you have a lot of good restaurants and cafes within shouting distance. It's a much more lively neighborhood in that regard, as well as more dining and cafe choices than where the Monge is. I don't think that the Muguet is in a much nicer neighborhood or that the Muguet or Monge are better hotels than that one. The neighborhood is completely safe.

I think the hotel difference is that all Ibis I know of are newly constructed, very large hotels. Mercure often takes over typical smaller French hotels, renovates them and then reopens them. That hotel was the Carlton Montparnasse, and used to be a 3*, mid-size rather typical French hotel. That street is busy, but if you have AC, that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I would stay at the Mercure rather than the Ibis or that Comfort Hotel Bastille. That is a very good rate for that level of hotel in that neighborhood. I'm sure the rooms are small, but they are at other hotels at that price, also. I think a lot of people are making all kinds of assumptions about that Mercure simply because of the dreaded word "chain".
Mar 2nd, 2004, 11:46 AM

Will, I checked out the Ibis Paris Republique a couple of days ago and had Isabelle show me around so I could have a good feel for the property. First, it's not a cookie cutter Ibis thing. It's a restored 1900 or so building that's less than a block off the Republique square and it fits in well with the character of the neighborhood. (The restoration is relatively recent -- within the past half dozen years, at the most.)

Size-wise, I wouldn't say the rooms are any smaller than what is typical of many properties in Paris. The room I looked at had a double bed and a single in addition. There was a full bath. There is nothing particularly creative about the interior decorating -- (they're fond of white paint) -- but there was a framed print on the wall, at least. There's an elevator and a 24-hour front desk. Doors are keyed (not card) and the desk operator buzzes people in. There is a small snack/coffee/bar next to the front desk (very small reception area).

There is a breakfast buffet for six Euros. It is served in the lower level. The breakfast rooms are reasonably attractive and that's a decent price, as these things go.

The neighborhood itself has a lot of nearby amenities -- brasseries, boulangeries, etc. Frankly, I don't know why anyone would have a problem with this immediate area at all. There is a large Holiday Inn which is very high-end and it should really be a Crowne Plaza. There is also some shopping; again, some is higher-end. It's a short walk to Canal St. Martin; there is great metro access from the Republique metro stop; you're close to the night life of Rue Oberkampf, etc.

In summary, I would consider the Ibis Paris Republique to be a good value at the rate you are citing.
Mar 2nd, 2004, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much Flyboy. As it turned out, last night I did a bid on Priceline and got the Le Meridien Montparnasse. I'm happy with the result although it's a little more than 79 Euros per night. It sounds like this particular Ibis is just as good as many budget hotels as I have stayed at in the past, and the fact it has air conditioning makes it a solid summer choice.