Paris flea markets

Search

Paris flea markets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris flea markets

Going to Paris in Feb. Are the flea markets worth visiting? Which one is the best? Also is there a brocante area in Paris? Thanks.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 10:38 PM

There is one major flea market in Paris that you can reach via the Metro and I am sure if you do a bit of research you can find the one I am referring to. Basically in the front of it is just cheap junk -- knock offs of clothing lines, etc., but behind that there are permanent stalls of antique dealers and some real finds. I collect authentic antique advertising posters and there were some very good deals there. The same posters in the states are two to four times the amount. I am sure if someone else reads this that is better informed they can tell you the exact name. Good luck!
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 11:06 PM

I just discovered the best little book that will tell you everything you want to know about the Paris flea markets! It's called Bit By The Fleas.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 11:07 PM

The Paris Flea Market is was thinking of adjoins the suburb of Saint-Ouen.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 11:13 PM

While Saint-Ouen is the most popular and visited...I much perfer the Vanves fleamarket. It is located in the south near the perpherique at porte de vanves.
We found loads of great stuff there.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 07:18 AM

I second Digital_Traveler's recommendation. That is the flea market that we went to. I carried home an adorable little footstool. It was great fun.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. Did read Bit by Fleas and it recommends Clignancourt. We will visit both markets in Feb. and then report back to you.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 05:47 AM

Has anyone visited the flea mkt at Montreuil? I've read it's junky, but I'm not looking for antiques, just a souvenir. I do like Marche Vanves very well, maybe you could compare Vanves and Montreuil for me..?
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 09:15 AM

The flea market at Clignancourt is spectacular and and covers a pretty large area.If you get there by metro,you will have two walk for a few blocks past all the tee shirts/junk to get to the Rue de Rosiers which is the main street off which most of the the antique areas are accessed.

There are some antique stores right on the Rue de Rosiers, but the extensive areas filled with individual stands are behind those stores. There are also a number of buildings which you enter form Rue de Rosiers filled with antique stalls. By the way, this is not "brocante"....these are serious antiques. There is a huge assortment of really beautiful furniture, lighting fixtures,porcelaines,paintings etc.If you're really into antiques, plan on spending a day or two!

Unlike "flea markets" in some other places, don't plan to get there at the crack of dawn,as a many of the dealers don't arrive until 11 or so. Some of them have stores in other parts of the city and this is strictly a weekend activity.Wear warm clothes and leave your gold bangles at home.

There are a couple of shippers that have offices right there. They will send home anything that you can't live without that you can't carry home. The two that I have used are Headley's Humpers (would you believe?) and Camard. Not cheap, but reliable.
The market at Clignancourt (Marche des Puces) has a website: http://www.les-puces.com
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 10:04 AM

The Marche aux Puces at Clignancourt is only open Saturday, Sunday and (somewhat) Monday. It is really no longer a "flea market"--it is a large area with permanent shops and "malls", many of which are branches of shops in Paris proper. There may be "bargains" there but I have yet to find any. I like the Vanves market on Saturday and Sunday. For brocantes look in Pariscope for the time you are there to see whether there may be one--or more.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Just returned from Paris. Went to Clignancourt via metro. Very easy to find and many marches within the area. All markets have stalls. Paul Bert and Serpette have wonderful, lovely expensive antiques. Marche Dauphin was a little less expensive with kitchen, home items and vintage clothing. Must go to Chez Louisette in the Marche Vernaison. Good food, music and fun. Great area to visit but no bargains here. Sunday we went to the market at Vanves, south of the city, a few stops from Montparnasse. Good finds and the sellers are patient and nice. Found some good kitchen "stuff", great French CDs, and a bit of faience. Nice food market close by with lovely fruit, cheese and bread. Flea market closes at 1 on Sunday.