Paris Saint-Ouen Flea Markets

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 11:03 AM
sandi

Paris Saint-Ouen Flea Markets

I came across a great website outlining a dozen or so antique stores that are combined into one area. They are open Saturday, Sundays and Mondays. I will be looking at a map when I get home but has anyone been to this collection of shops, in Saint-Ouen, and how far is it outside of downtown Paris?

By the way the website is:

www.parispuces.com

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 11:53 AM
caroline

Yes-this is the famous Paris Flea Market, also known as the Clignancourt.The Markets are a conglomeration of stalls and vendors, hundreds of them. They are very much fun to browse through although not much of a bargain these days. You can eat at small cafes and just wander, it can be fun.
I cannot remember how long the Metro ride was, about half an hour from the St Germain station? It is a little long and on the weekends, can be quite crowded with weekend shoppers.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Gretchen

It is FAR more than a dozen. Go to the Metro Porte Clignancourt. It is down the street from that station--covers acres and acres. It is not a flea market in the sense of open air--mostly many shops on many streets withsome large "mall" type buildings with many booths. VERY extensive. Walk past the tacky tee shirt, trinket tents that precede the real market.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 12:15 PM
sandi

Thanks. I guess the website didn't do the size of it justice. Is it worth the trip or should I stick with trying to catch a smaller market in the city? We have only 4 days. Is it as expensive to ship stuff back from paris as it is Italy? I can imagine that I'd find a million things at these markets that I can't live without.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 08:15 AM
carol

It's a schlep to get out to the Marche aux Puces/Clignancourt. Even if you left early in the morning, you probably wouldn't be back in the center of Paris before 2:00 pm at the earliest. Even though I love shopping and antiques, in my many short (5 day)trips to Paris, I still haven't wanted to spend my precious time there. I look for local neighborhood brocantes on the Paris tourist office website and then either take a hop over by bus, or walk over. Window shopping in the beautiful 6/7 arr. Carre Rive Gauche where they sell (mostly)real 17th-18th century antiques
is also a fun thing to do.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 08:42 AM
scarlett

I have managed to only buy things that I would carry home myself but I do know that the individual dealers do the shipping arrangements with the buyer.I have no idea how much, depending on size, amount, etc.
We have gone just for the morning, and there have been times where we were finding things so we spent much more time there. It is all depending on what you like. I was buying gifts on the last trip-so I did well with small antique tins, posters, "stuff"
I think you would enjoy it.