Paris flea market gide

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Sherri Kardell

Paris flea market gide

I am loking for a guide to take me to the marche'aux puces ( Clingnacourt ) in Paris in late Sept.. Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Christina

I"m not sure what your needs are -- do you want a guide just because you are afraid to go there on the metro by yourself and think you'll get lost? I do know some people who aren't used to big cities do get intimidated by traveling on the metro in Paris, but the market is not difficult to find if you have a decent map (Michelin green guides has one and there are several good online sites with info on that flea market, including extensive descriptions of stores:

www.curiositel.tm.fr/saint_ouen
www.lespuces.fr
http://www.paris-anglo.com/guide/ent...a_markets.html

those should do it for basics

If you want a guide who will function as an expert shopper, including knowledge of values and antiques and who the best dealers are there and who will get you the best prices, something like that, I don't know anyone.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 05:25 PM
s

My husbands clients take their decorators to Paris with them and they do the flea markets together.
Maybe someday in another life, I will get to try that

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 05:48 PM
Sherri Kardell

In another life we'll go together!
Fluffygirl

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 07:04 PM
Jade

Hi Sherri:

Pls post a little more information. What are your specific needs for this visit to the flea markets...
Are you just after discovering treasures? Or do you have specific antiques that you are searching for?

Pls let us know and we will try to be more helpful.
Regards,
Jade

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 07:14 PM
Gigi

Love the marche aux puces in Paris! You will find many lovely things. I am a designer and do shop for clients there. What are you looking for specifically? Perhaps I know a shop. It is a breeze to shop there. If you are uncomfortable, take a cab. If you want a guide...perhaps I'm available!
I took a group of clients to England two years ago. I have thought about organizing another to Paris. We had a wonderful trip.
Best wishes, Sherri,
Gigi

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 07:21 PM
Sherri Kardell

Dear Jade;
Thanks for your replie; I am looking for someone to pick me up at my hotel(preferably) and take me to the market. I am interested in wall sconces chandaliers & textiles. Also I have heard that there is an on site shipping service at the marche'. I would love to know about this last time I bought a beautiful set of Limouges china and spent a fortune getting it home but it was worth it.
Thanks a million Viva La France!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 07:58 PM
Sherri Kardell

Dear Gigi I will email you for more info.
Sherri aka Fluffygirl

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 08:57 PM
jughead

do these flea markets sell clothes too? are there any good opp shops around paris where you can get great 2nd hand clothes fro a bargain? or are parisians too classy to buy 2nd hand stuff.. or are the poeple on this forum tooclassy tobuy 2nd hand stuff?

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:28 PM
Jade

Hi Sherrie:

I went with my parents in law. They are quite wealthy and so my father in law hired a driver and a car to take us there. For a minimum of 4 hours hire of the car and driver it cost $400 Australian dollars (approx $228 American). Petrol and taxis are a rip off in Paris.

Unless you are very wealthy, you would probably do better to catch a train in or a bus. I have not heard of any bus tours to the Marches Aux Puces but surely some exist. That might be a cheaper option.
As for being guided through the market however, I would be sceptical as to the places that I was being taken. A lot of guides would be taking cuts from retail shops that they refer clients to.

I'll tell you how we did it. We had the driver drop us off at one alley, 'Serpette', we arranged for him to pick us up at the same spot 4 hours later. We then made our way through the alleys, at our own leisure -not rushed with a guided tour.

Sherri - we found the most amazing things. My parents in law bought up a storm in antique Italian furniture, and I found a beautiful old Venetian mirror and a gorgeous painting.
My partner and I were lucky enough to be able to put our purchases with our parent in laws', so we didn't have to pay the shipping fees to Australia -thank God!
But there are many many different shippers in the markets. The most commonly referred one is called 'Camard'. All the retailers recommend this one, and I'm pretty sure it's who we ended up going with also.
You'll see it once you're there.

Also, by the way - we took so long to choose things. It is really important that you try to go for more than one day. Since it is open Fri Sat Sun, try to go at least 2 of those days. Unless you truly adore something and are strapped for time, don't buy things without looking around for others. We almost made the mistake of buying another mirror that was more common, and were glad to have looked around for one that was even better.

Let me know if you want to know anything else.

Regards,
Jade

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Elfie

Hi Sherri and Jade, I will be going to Paris in July and I can't wait to go to the flea market. What are the chances of me finding a crystal chandelier or wall sconce?

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Sherri Kardell

Dear Jade and Elfie thank you for you responses. Jade the info was just what I needed where to be dropped off and the name of the shipper; thanks so much.
Elfie your problem wont be finding a wall sconce or chandelier but which ones to choose. It is amazing just paradise. Can anyone recammend a specific dealer for items such as chandeliers etc. that's what I'm looking for too but don't remember where to go. Thanks Sherri