Burgos worth a trip?

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 06:02 PM
cate

Burgos worth a trip?

We have one night to spend between Leon and Segovia. Is Burgos worth a trip? Any other suggestions. We are probably travelling by train or bus.<BR>any hotel recommendations?<BR>thanks

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:09 PM
Maribel

Yes, it's worth it if you're willing to make the detour to the west. The home of El Cid, It has one of the 3 great Gothic cathedrals in Spain and lively tapas bars. Quite hot in summer though. I'd stay in the catehdral area at the Melia Confort Fernan Gonzalez or the Meson el Cid. <BR><BR>On the direct route from Leon to Segovia, Tordesillas and the Parador would make a nice stopping place. The Parador has a pretty country house look with red tile roof (not historic but filled with tapestries and antiques). It's surrounded by pine trees and has a lovely garden with pool-very restful. (One of the very first paradors I stayed in, way back then, called an "albergue"). It costs about 90 euros a night.<BR>And the town of Tordesillas has a pretty porticoed Plaza Mayor

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 05:18 AM
cate

maribel, I hope you are still here.YOu have such a wealth of knowledge. What would you suggest as the best use of time, 4 days between Salamanca and Madrid? (in July). Segovia looks nice, any other suggestions. I did think of Leon but you may have another idea?<BR>thank you

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 07:12 AM
Julie

I am not as fond of Burgos as the other poster. We found the cathedral very dark and forbidding. All of the side alters had bars to prohibit getting close or a very good view. Same true of main alter. Also had problems finding parking in the city. Just didn't find the place to be as interesting/inviting as Salamanca, Segovia or other towns we stopped at in that area. In contrast we loved Salamanca. Beautiful apricot stone buildings. Very harmonious. Wonderful Plaza Major. Segovia aqueduct is very interesting and the town itself is great to explore. We also liked Avila, a walled city to the southwest of Segovia. While in the area you should plan to see El Escorial and the Valley of the Fallen monument. We drove but I'm sure that tour trips are readily available.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Maribel

cate,<BR>I left a message for you on your other thread about Paradors.<BR><BR>Clarification about Burgos:<BR>Because I didn't know your itinerary, I thought you might like a stop in Burgos to see the cathedral not realizing that you were headed to wonderful Salamanca, the Oxford of Spain, and elegant Segovia. I studied in Salamanca and know Segovia/Avila very well and heartily recommend both them to you as well! <BR><BR>Since you do plan to include the very "best" of Castilla in your itinerary, then I'd say don't bother with making that detour to Burgos<BR>You won't need to see it. <BR>It's not that I'm especially fond of Burgos. I do much prefer Segovia and Salamanca; they are my favorite Castilla-Leon cities. Actually my favorite Spanish cities are the S's (Segovia, Salamanca, San Sebastian, Sevilla, Santiago de Compostela)<BR><BR>The bars on the side altars are very typical of Spanish cathedrals, and yes, they are often quite dark. What you'll enjoy so much in Leon's stunning Gothic cathedral are the exquisite stained glass "rosetones" that let the glorious light in-for that reason I prefer the Leon cathedral to the Burgos one. We attended Sun. mass in the Leon cathedral last summer and heard the fabulous organ accompany a travelling professional chorus. A treat.<BR><BR>Have a great time exploring Castilla-Leon.